Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mash water/sparge water ratio

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2009, 04:40 AM   #1
Philsc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mash water/sparge water ratio

Could someone please clear up for me what's going on with the mash/sparge water ratios?

I've read that you should mash with a third of one's pre-boil volume, so that you are sparging with twice as much water - two batch sparges.

I also read that you should mash with close to half then top up the water to just under half in the last 10 minutes.

John Palmer says that you should sparge with the same amount of water as you mash with.

Phil

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009, 05:06 AM   #2
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

1.25 quarts per pound of grain is the average water/grain ratio. However, some people around here have experimented with a higher ratio and have reported much success.

With batch sparging, if you are doing two just do them in equal batches. Divide your water in half and use each one for the sparge.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 939 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Shoot for 1.5 quarts per pound of grain on the mash ratio. The sparge is more of a fixed volume thing rather than a ratio. After you collect first runnings, just figure out how much more wort you need for your preboil volume and use that amount. Of course, how much preboil volume you need is tied to how much boiloff you get and you have to guess that for the first few batches. It's somewhere between 1-2 gallons per hour. I start with 7.25 gallons to get 5.75 gallons into the fermenter.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Yeah, BobbyM's got it, as usual.

It comes down to what you're doing in each step. This is a pretty rudimentary way of looking at it, but this is how I see it.

Mashing is to activate the enzymes and convert starches to sugar. The water to grist ratio is important. 1.75 to 1.25 qt H20/ lb grain is enough that you can get everything wet and the enzymes are in high enough concentration that conversion doesn't take all day.

Sparging is to rinse the wort from the grains. The volume here is related to your pre-boil volume. You want to use as much water in your sparge as you can. This is to get as much wort out of your grains as you can. I single batch sparge and sometimes double batch sparge with a lower volume if my grain bill is big.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:15 PM   #5
Philsc
Recipes 

Thanks
Clear as crystal now.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
scottyg354
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Well my whole first AG batch turned into a disaster. Between temps and now its totally stuck. LOL. Am drain it with my autosiphon, which seems to be working. Hopefully it works out. Going to buy a false bottom kit.

Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

On Deck: Helles, Oktoberfest, Saison, Apple Graff

Primary: IPA, Scottish Export

Secondary: Saison Brett

Bottled/Kegged/Gone:
Cream Ale, Peanut Butter Brown, Belgian Golden Strong, Brown Sugar Cider, Cream Ale, Double IPA, Saison, Summer Ale, Honey IPA, Maple Apple Graff, Holiday Stout, Hard Cider, English Brown, Scottish Heavy

Old 10-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
scottyg354
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

And now I just snapped my hydrometer in half. FML

Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

On Deck: Helles, Oktoberfest, Saison, Apple Graff

Primary: IPA, Scottish Export

Secondary: Saison Brett

Bottled/Kegged/Gone:
Cream Ale, Peanut Butter Brown, Belgian Golden Strong, Brown Sugar Cider, Cream Ale, Double IPA, Saison, Summer Ale, Honey IPA, Maple Apple Graff, Holiday Stout, Hard Cider, English Brown, Scottish Heavy

Old 10-28-2012, 06:10 AM   #8
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I find that the sparge volume is roughly equal to the batch size. I divide in 2 in order to double sparge.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 10-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1926 Times on 1694 Posts
Likes Given: 1428

My 1st partial mash had 5lb of grains,so I mashed with 1.5 gallons of distilled water. Had trouble 1st 15 minutes getting mash temp stable at 155-156F. Sparged with 1.5 gallons of water & got in the middle of the listed OG range. But the sparge temp was 155F...160 would likely have been better to get more wort washed out of the grains. To my thinking anyway.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
estricklin
Certified Guitar Pickin' Hop Slingin' Crazy Homebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Just a word of caution, if you over sparge your grains you will extract tannins, and it won't help the flavor of your beer one bit.

Sometimes I have wort left in my mash tun because it won't fit in my brew pot, in those instances I just leave it there, it's usually only about 1/2 gallon. For me I would figure a .5 gallon of water for every pound of grain to sparge with.

Quick Reply