Mash tun trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt98

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone ever have their manifold come apart at the bottom of the mash tun when it was full of mash? It's not apart actually, just disconnected from the drain. I think I might have gotten it most of the way back on. But it cost me some burnt skin. Any fixes for this?

Well, I got it back together. But ended up with some grain in the tubes. Stuck sparge currently. Luckily I've still got some homebrew to help me relax.

I had it happen last August with an Imperial Stout. After some grain came through, the grain bed set up well enough to clear on vorlauf and I actually fly sparged with it that way. My target had been 1.100 and I managed to get 1.095. I just kegged it a couple weeks ago and it's a fine RIS.

I ended up dumping off enough water to clean everything out and get it going again. Almost ready to start boil. I think I got a little impatient to start, but it's going again. Great day to watch golf and make/drink beer.

When it happened to me, I dumped the entire mash into another cooler, cleaned out the manifold and put it back together, dumped the grain and water back in. I let it settle for 10 minutes then sparged as usual. Beer turned out great. I check my manifold connections more carefully since that episode.

I was lucky the Mash Police didn't come calling that day . . .

That's basically what I ended up doing. Had a variety of issues today, but I've got yeast in wort, so hopefully all will end well.

Back