Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mash tonight, Boil tomorrow?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 03:47 AM   #1
enginerd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mash tonight, Boil tomorrow?

Can it be done?

It's getting late in the day and I don't think I can make it through the entire brew. The thought crossed my mind to just do the mash tonight and save the boil for the next day. I figure with respect to sanitation, it should be okay since I'd boil everything the next day anyways.
Are there any dangers with this?
Any thoughts would be great.

I decided to fail conservative and just brew the whole thing tomorrow.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2007, 05:59 AM   #2
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have seen this question a few times. I think I would like to conduct myself an experiment and try to brew two batches exactly the same except mash one and save the wort and brew it the next day. Its probably been done, who knows it may be better. I may try it one day

Old 03-12-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I'm still trying to understand the chemistry of it, but I think if you delay your boil you really have to make sure you do a mash out to stop the conversion process in the wort. Otherwise you'll end up with way dry brew.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 03-12-2007, 03:30 PM   #4
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
I'm still trying to understand the chemistry of it, but I think if you delay your boil you really have to make sure you do a mash out to stop the conversion process in the wort. Otherwise you'll end up with way dry brew.
That would be my biggest concern too. I think Bobby sums it up pretty well here.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:32 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I've heard, although I have (thankfully) no experience with this, that if the mash goes sour overnight, the damage is done; boil it in the morning or not, you're going to have a soured beer.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:37 PM   #6
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Mashing overnight used to be the preferred method of doing it as per HB guru Dave Line in the 80s. Malt was less modified then, and the longer mash time helped with that. However, even back then, it was an 8 hour mash and not a 24 hour. Do it first thing in the morning and you'll be fine. Of course based on the timeline of this thread, this is all moot now. But you'll know for next time.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:45 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

As long as the temperature stays above 120F, it shouldn't sour. Hit it with the mash-out water and you'll de-nature the enzymes, plus give the mash more of a margin.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-12-2007, 04:58 PM   #8
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Interesting...

http://www.hbd.org/brewery/cm3/recs/04_21.html

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:56 PM   #9
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The tricky thing with mash souring is based on a few factors. One is the amount of lactobacillus already present on the malt. Usually it is sufficent to start the souring process but depending on how much a leg up they have determines how long things need to go. It is certainly not an exacting process and needs to be gauged each time you do it. Another factor is temperature. Lactobacillus can survive up to 150° F from what I have read, I try to shoot to kick start the process at around 135° F and let the covered vessel stay in an insulated area. It drops down over the course of time so who is to say when the peak activity is. Your mash will sour, this is pretty much garaunteed but I think in general you can help delay the process by draining off your wort and dropping the temps....ie put it in the fridge to cool. It will really keep them from doing their thing. The other thing you can do is drive up your temp up to beyond their tolerant range (60° F - 150° F) to help kill them off and then bring them down to where they don't prosper.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:28 PM   #10
enginerd
Recipes 

Although way beyond the scope of my abilities since I'm not going for any style that calls for sour, this has been helpful.
It sounds like I would be ok to drain off and refrigerate until the morning. So - I have a new trick to put in my bag in case the situation ever comes up again.
Cheers

Quick Reply