Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mash paddle help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2011, 01:38 AM   #1
SpacemanSpiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

Default Mash paddle help

I recently did my first full sized BIAB batch in my new 10.5 gallon pot. One thing I discovered was that my old metal spoon wasn't really getting the job done as far as being able to get to the bottom and stir without getting my hand in the hot wort. So for my next batch, I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

A couple of things I'm concerned about. I'm not sure what kind of wood it is although it is intended for stirring food. It also looks like it needs a sanding as I can see putty or glue in the seam between some of the slats of wood making up the paddle. Should I either mineral oil up the paddle or put some other kind of coating on it to protect it and my batches?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2011, 01:52 AM   #2
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Mineral oil is just fine.. don't sop it on.. just enough to fill the pores w/o excess wetting. Mineral oil, for all intents and purposes, is the same as "block oil" which is used for sealing wooden salad bowls and chopping blocks. You will want to do this a couple of times a year. Because it's used in very hot solution.. it probably doesn't need to be specifically sanitized.. the hot wort will keep it sanitary with just good hot water bath to clean it.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:00 AM   #3
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Toxicology

In the United States, mineral oil is generally safe for human contact and consumption and has been approved by the FDA in personal care and cosmetic products, as well as for an additive for food to 10 mg/kg of daily consumption.[3] The World Health Organization classifies mineral oils (in untreated or lightly treated industrial-grade form) as Group 1 carcinogens to humans.[4] According to a UK news story dated March 2011, mineral oils used in ink can get into foods when they are packed in recycled cardboard. Because of the danger of cancer, manufacturers are to stop using recycled cardboard in packaging.[5]

source: Mineral oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe it's fine, maybe it's something to be slightly concerned about, idk. I tend to err on the side of caution.

There are also SS paddles available to should work well. I'd imagine they are easier to clean and sanitize as well.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:48 AM   #4
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 78 Posts

Hmm, and you can buy it in a drugstore as a "laxative"?? Maybe the stuff made elsewhere is different. Like silicone grease and food grade silicone grease?? IDK either. I've used it on bowls and wooden utensils I've made.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
harrydrez
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie_Man View Post
Toxicology

In the United States, mineral oil is generally safe for human contact and consumption and has been approved by the FDA in personal care and cosmetic products, as well as for an additive for food to 10 mg/kg of daily consumption.[3] The World Health Organization classifies mineral oils (in untreated or lightly treated industrial-grade form) as Group 1 carcinogens to humans.[4] According to a UK news story dated March 2011, mineral oils used in ink can get into foods when they are packed in recycled cardboard. Because of the danger of cancer, manufacturers are to stop using recycled cardboard in packaging.[5]

source: Mineral oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe it's fine, maybe it's something to be slightly concerned about, idk. I tend to err on the side of caution.

There are also SS paddles available to should work well. I'd imagine they are easier to clean and sanitize as well.
I think the key here is "lightly treated or untreated" industrial grade. Food grade oil is likely treated to remove contaminants.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
I recently did my first full sized BIAB batch in my new 10.5 gallon pot. One thing I discovered was that my old metal spoon wasn't really getting the job done as far as being able to get to the bottom and stir without getting my hand in the hot wort. So for my next batch, I bought this: Amazon.com: Excellante 24-Inch Wood Mixing Paddles: Home & Garden

A couple of things I'm concerned about. I'm not sure what kind of wood it is although it is intended for stirring food. It also looks like it needs a sanding as I can see putty or glue in the seam between some of the slats of wood making up the paddle. Should I either mineral oil up the paddle or put some other kind of coating on it to protect it and my batches?
So it sounds like you are saying it isn't made up of one piece of wood. I would assume it is all good since it was made for food but having that glue to hold pieces of wood together isn't something I would want...that is just me though.

For a few bucks more you can get this one and it is one solid piece of wood made for stirring boiling wort.

Austin Homebrew Supply

Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Fizzy yellow beer and Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Nothing

On my list to brew: Stone IPA and some kind of wit

Old 12-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I wouldn't use mineral oil if it's going to be used for brewing. I have to imagine if it leaches into the wort it won't be good for head retention. If you feel it needs to be oiled there are food safe drying oils, generally tung. I've got a dedicated long handled wooden spoon for brewing that has seen a few years of service and hasn't suffered any ill effects from being left in the raw.

Quick Reply