Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mash out?? but why???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
lonelynoose
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mash out?? but why???

Ok... so do you really need to do a Mash Out??? Everything I read tells me something different.

Bottled: Wheat Brackett, OSH Clone, English IPA, IPA, Murphy's Clone, Fin Du Monde Clone, Bass Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I do a mash out with a fly sparge by adding boiling water, stirring really well, and waiting 15 minutes before starting the sparge. I wouldn't do it if I were batch sparging as you get exactly the same results by adding and stirring the sparge water.
The reasons I mash out are:

1. It increases my efficiency by 10%
  2. My efficiency with a mash out is more consistent than without
  3. It helps to prevent stuck sparges (I do a very thick mash usually)
I don't do it to denature the enzymes.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Agreed with the above.

A mashout does two things, neither of which offer much benefit for batch spargers:

• Denature enzymes to "lock in" your sugar profile
  • Sugar solubility increases with temp - so more sugar can be dissolved.

With batch sparging, most people stick their first runnings on the boil right away, and you're done within 10 mins, so the denaturing already happens pretty quick, thus a "mashout" is unnecessary. With fly sparging, where you may sparge over an hour or so, it matters more.

The effect of the sugar solubility on efficiency is small (negligible, even), and generally not worth the effort to calculate.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelynoose View Post
Ok... so do you really need to do a Mash Out??? Everything I read tells me something different.

Please specify what sources you are reading. The mash out can be skipped and the beer will be fine. However, as ajf points out it will add some positives to the process.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
Please specify what sources you are reading. The mash out can be skipped and the beer will be fine. However, as ajf points out it will add some positives to the process.
do a google search for "is a mash out necessary?" and you will get any number of sources. i never mash out and if there is an increase in efficiency to be had i certainly don't notice or miss it. on the homebrewing level i don't this there is a right or wrong answer to mashing out.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just another example of "ask 10 brewers a question and you'll get at least 9 different answers"

There's a ton of correct ways to make beer. Probably more 'right' ways than 'wrong' ways in fact.

If it tastes good you did it right. Educating yourself is great, but don't let some of the debate spin your head either. If there is a debate it usually means both sides are valid but don't want to concede to the other.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 05-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
BrewinHooligan
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1125 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 1278

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
Just another example of "ask 10 brewers a question and you'll get at least 9 different answers"

There's a ton of correct ways to make beer. Probably more 'right' ways than 'wrong' ways in fact.

If it tastes good you did it right. Educating yourself is great, but don't let some of the debate spin your head either. If there is a debate it usually means both sides are valid but don't want to concede to the other.
+1, I have a buddy who swears mashing out adds about 3% efficiency on his system and he batch sparges. I don't mash out and I batch sparge with 180F water which basically does the same thing as a mashout without the extra step and get slightly higher efficiency than he does. The key is to find what works for you and be consistent with it.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

malkore is right. There are a ton of debates in homebrewing about which is better, this or that? The truth of the matter is that both sides that are being debated work just fine in most cases. My advice is to try a mash out on one batch and then try no mash out on the next, or vice versa. See what works better for you on your system. Because discussing the benefits of either in the abstract will just give you a bunch more sources of conflicting information. Both techniques work. You need to decide which works better for you.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJL View Post
malkore is right. There are a ton of debates in homebrewing about which is better, this or that? The truth of the matter is that both sides that are being debated work just fine in most cases. My advice is to try a mash out on one batch and then try no mash out on the next, or vice versa. See what works better for you on your system. Because discussing the benefits of either in the abstract will just give you a bunch more sources of conflicting information. Both techniques work. You need to decide which works better for you.
+1 Experience is the best teacher.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer View Post
+1 Experience is the best teacher.
Both your own and that of others, hence, a forum. My hesitation with relying too much on my own experience is that the sample size is far too small to be conclusive. Forums like this increase sample size, even if it is still mostly anecdotal evidence.

Quick Reply