New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Maple Syrup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
BLuke01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Maple Syrup

I am very new at brewing and just began a primary fermentation on a maple chipotle ale. I did not boil with any maple and am planning on adding about 10 oz of grade B maple to the secondary and then prime with 5 oz.

I have a 3 gal batch, do you think this would be a good ratio of maple and will not over carbonate?

Thanks for the help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
Paul07293
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I did a nut brown ale several months ago and didn't have enough quite priming sugar so I threw in 1 cup of grade b maple syrup. It came out a little fizzy but if it's cold enough it pours nicely and a light maple flavor came through as well. There is a table in How to Brew that helps calculate how much syrup would give the equivalent carbonation corn sugar.

"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer."- Homer Simpson

Old 11-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Eliminate the guesswork. Real information is available! According to this site, a 322g serving of maple syrup contains 192g of sugar. In ounces (by weight) that's an 11.35 oz serving with 6.77 0z of sugar. That means that every ounce of syrup has 0.596 oz of sugar in it. I recall reading somewhere that the sugar in maple syrup is almost entirely sucrose. I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but someone can check me on that.

For a 3 gallon batch of beer, 2 oz of sucrose will get you a carbonation level of 2.4 volumes, usually considered the "normal" or "average" level of carbonation. Divide 2 oz by 0.596 and you get 3.35 oz of syrup.

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale
Quadro (quadrotriticale ale)
Beer of Honor
Black Bat'Leth Stout
Targ's Blood Nut Brown Ale
Supersecret sour beer experiment v1.0

Quick Reply