Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Malt purchasing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2010, 05:23 AM   #1
GateWay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Malt purchasing

Sorry for the silly question but when purchasing malt from your lhbs do you have to buy it by the pound? or do they sell you exact measures for your recipes? thanks all. cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 05:38 AM   #2
jollytim
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

At the risk of sounding glib, it depends. Not all lhbs are the same.

Whole grain is usually sold by the ounce or pound.

Dry malt, usually sold in prepackaged amounts... 1 pound, 3 pound, 5 pounds and larger. Not all lhbs carry all the different prepackaged weights.

Liquid malt is usually sold in a prepackaged can. 3.3 pound (1 kilo) being the norm. A larger lhbs may carry bulk LME that you can purchase in different weights.

And if you buy kits, you will already have the malt in the amounts needed for that recipe.

Some lhbs will sell you just what you want, others may not have that option, and you'll have to choose from what they have. The only way to know for sure, is to visit one, or several, and ask.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:02 AM   #3
GateWay
Recipes 

Thanks that answered my question. I guess I should have specified whole grain malt.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:09 AM   #4
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

got a shop just over the border in NC that i can get down to 1/4 pound

www.ebrew.com

fast ship too!

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 12-03-2010, 06:39 AM   #5
philrose
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

If it's a decent store you should be able to buy fractions of a pound with no issue. Usually they have bins and scales provided for you to weigh your grains

Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Old 12-03-2010, 07:21 AM   #6
dvdanny
Recipes 

There are two that i go to near where i live, one of them (Beer & WineMakers of America) will only give you less then 1 lb amounts if you buy their recipe. The other (Seven Bridges Co-op) will sell you as little as 1/2 lb unless you buy their recipes. Both have great service but I prefer the Seven Bridges, as they specialize in organic products ( saying your homebrew is organic is nice) and because they are a co-op and make a huge portion of their business online, they have very good prices.

Primary:
"Armored Pegasus" - Extra IPA
Bottled:
"Queen of Thrace" Almond Cream Stout, "Genesis" Ancient Hebrew Smoked Date Beer, "Lumberjack" Maple Dunkelweizen (10% abv), "1776" Molasses Porter, "Scarecrow" American heavily hopped Hefe, "Iron Horse" American Amber

Quick Reply