The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Malt Extract in India

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2013, 03:22 AM   #1
BeBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 27

Default Malt Extract in India

Where do you get your LME & DME in India from?
I researched a few companies:
1) Mahalaxmi Malt
2) Imperial Malt
3) Superior Malt ltd
4) Bar Malt
and they sell only in bulk (around 50 liters)

I will be brewing my first batch of beer. I want to know the exact type of LME & DME I should order from any of these companies and also which I can use for a variety of beers.

Can you help me with the name of the company, what type to order or any other suggestions? That'll be of great help.

Thank you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 04:02 AM   #2
Channel66
error 404 channel not found
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1048 Times on 681 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBeer View Post
Where do you get your LME & DME in India from?
I researched a few companies:
1) Mahalaxmi Malt
2) Imperial Malt
3) Superior Malt ltd
4) Bar Malt
and they sell only in bulk (around 50 liters)

I will be brewing my first batch of beer. I want to know the exact type of LME & DME I should order from any of these companies and also which I can use for a variety of beers.

Can you help me with the name of the company, what type to order or any other suggestions? That'll be of great help.

Thank you.
Can you get specialty grains to steep? If so I would just order a light DME. You can use it like a base malt and use your specialty grains to achieve proper coloration and mouthfeel. This would open you up for a huge variety of beer

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.— David Rains Wallace

Old 06-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
hector
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Why do you expect others who don't live in India to tell you from which company in your Country to buy Extract ?!

The most important thing you should take care of is to look for "Brewing Grade Extract" .

As far as I know , many of the malt companies in India produce and sell Malt Extracts which are

suitable only for baking industry .

I bought once some DME (imported to my Country) from an indian malting company and used it

for brewing .

But the result was too salty , as the Extract contained high degree of Bicarbonate ( suitable for baking ) .

Try to order online from a well known malting company which sells Extract for home brewing , if you can .

Hector

Old 06-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
BeBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Why do you expect others who don't live in India to tell you from which company in your Country to buy Extract ?!
I was looking for someone who are IN India to suggest about these malt companies...

Also, members who have had experiences buying from India (like you did) for suggestions.
Thank you for the info, learned new thing about "Brewing Grade Extract" will check for it. Cheers!

Old 07-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
BeBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel66 View Post
Can you get specialty grains to steep? If so I would just order a light DME. You can use it like a base malt and use your specialty grains to achieve proper coloration and mouthfeel. This would open you up for a huge variety of beer
I only have Vienna (1lb), Crystal Malt 75L & 90L (1LB each). I don't have access to buy this from where I am right now. So getting more of this would take quite some time.

Is it necessary to use specialty grains while using DME? Any pros vs cons?

Old 07-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Stirs
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

My wife's nephew recently moved to India to start brewing beer. Why the hell he thought that was "the place" to start, I have no idea. Anyway, I'll try and touch base with him and see where he orders his supplies from. What part of India are you in?

Old 07-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
BeBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirs View Post
My wife's nephew recently moved to India to start brewing beer. Why the hell he thought that was "the place" to start, I have no idea. Anyway, I'll try and touch base with him and see where he orders his supplies from. What part of India are you in?
I am in Bangalore. I got my hops, yeast, some specialty grains and other ingredients from US. None available here!
Thanks for the help

Quick Reply