Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Making a Vanilla Bourbon Oaked Porter, when to oak?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 02:24 AM   #1
PuNk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Making a Vanilla Bourbon Oaked Porter, when to oak?

I have gotten an extract kit from NB and I am planning on making it this weekend. This is my second batch, so I stepped it up a little, with the specialty grains and bourbon, oak and vanilla in the secondary. The recipe calls for 14 days on the oak. My question is how do I get 14 days on the oak? Should I add the oak 14 days before bottling or is there a bag/sock to hang in the secondary?

Thanks,

Brian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2009, 02:51 AM   #2
dwarven_stout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

When I oak, I soak the chips in vodka for a day or two, then dump them in secondary. Since you're doing bourbon, oak, and vanilla, I'd soak them in the bourbon for a couple days, then add. This should kill any nasties living in the wood.

I don't know how much oak is in the kit, but I usually do an ounce. I leave it in there for a week, then I taste it every day or two until it hits the "oakiness" that I'm looking for. At that point I rack it off the oak and bottle.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply