Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Making my first starter...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
bluedragoon85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Making my first starter...

After reading about how certain beer styles can only be authentically achieved by liquid yeast in contrast to that of dry yeast, I decided I would make a starter for my upcoming German weise beers. I read the frequently asked questions section and so I ordered half a gallon glass container, some dry wheat malt extract and a pack of Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen 3068. So my question is, since one usually does a started with about 1 cup of DME, does this started somehow impart the finall product of whatever beer you might be making? Right now it isn't a problem, since I am doing a Hefeweizen, but what if I decide to do some other kind of brew that isn't wheat based and use a starter done with 1 cup of Wheat DME?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Start off with a pint of water and 1/2 cup of Wheat DME. That will get you going. This is from John Palmer's book. Get-Er-Going a day before you brew.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

Old 07-25-2008, 10:45 PM   #3
bluedragoon85
Recipes 

Quote:
Start off with a pint of water and 1/2 cup of Wheat DME. That will get you going. This is from John Palmer's book. Get-Er-Going a day before you brew.
Thanks for the info. I will follow the steps as indicated on the book. As of now I have set the smack pack at around room temperature (already burst the nutrient pack) and either do a starter tomorrow night or sunday. I plan on brewing this coming monday, so I hope it wont be a problem.

Quick Reply