Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > making my first IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 05:27 AM   #31
CityOChampBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppyending View Post
Drop the rehydrating IMO. More chance to kill them off trying to rehydrate than just sprinkling it in. If concerned just buy 2 packs.
wow thats some bad advise
Kegged empty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #32
Stix
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityOChampBrew View Post
wow thats some bad advise
Wow. Not gonna restart this argument. There is plus and minuses to both. Use a yeast calculator and pitch dry yeast rehydrated or just added extra packs to get your desired level. With dry yeast it is easier to spend 2 dollars more than risk bad water/temp/toxins that kill yeast.. Yes some toxins cannot be boiled out.

As far as liquid yeast a starter is a must for an Bigger brews. I do starters with liquid yeast on every brew though.

The advice is not bad. It is a personal choice. As long as the correct amount of yeast is pitched all is fine. As you seen from this thread and others people have had some experiences and trouble with rehydrating and so so fermentation. This is one part of the process I love reading and experimenting on.

My last piece on this subject. If others want to bash me for a simple truth that's fine. I will refrain from posting (Hears a roar from the crowd!!!).
People usually like to discuss this. Now the attitudes are..... my way or your a dumb ass and insults fly.

Do what ya want and love what ya do. Everything else is just opinion.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #33
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppyending View Post
Wow. Not gonna restart this argument. There is plus and minuses to both.
Dude, your argument makes zero sense. You're talking about there being toxins in the water that can't be boiled out that will harm the yeast.

What water are you making your wort with? Wouldn't those same toxins survive the boil, and then harm the yeast when you dump the pack straight in.

The bottom line is, rehydrate your yeast. Numerous people have done experiments. You lose a minimum of 50% of the yeast if you sprinkle the dry yeast directly on the wort. You still lose quite a bit of yeast if you rehydrate in water that is too cool (aka room temp).

It's not hard to heat some clean water in the microwave to 90-100*, and stir in the yeast. Take the 2 minutes to do it. And don't listen to this guy about toxins.

The advice IS bad. You can do whatever you like as personal choice, but telling a new brewer to do something that empirical and scientific data suggest against is bad advice.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #34
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1941 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

I rehydrate my yeast in water that's 90-105F as ecommended by the manufacturer. You then have to pitch the yeast within 10 degrees of wort temp to prevent shocking them. But this or the rehydrate temp won't kill half of them. I've gotten some serious yeast creams rehydrating dry yeast,& they work fine.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #35
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I rehydrate, and have had no issues, and shorter lag times when I use dry yeast.

It's akin to making a starter with liquid yeast. It's just plain necessary.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-23-2013, 01:54 AM   #36
Stix
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I may have been a pain in the ass in these forums... but I do love brewing beer. I made my resolution in 2013 to not to be such a pain. I am not the guru of beer making. I just have had a great time brewing beer. This is what matters. You want to rehydrate more power to ya. Brewing a beer is like buying certain brands. You have critics. Enjoy the hobby and test the difference for yourself. That's what matters. Everything else is just opinion.

Do what ya want and love what ya do. Everything else is just opinion.

Quick Reply