Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > making my first IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #21
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
I disagree that 5 minutes gives you "no flavor" - any hop oils going into the beer is going to provide a sort of "flavor." Smell has a large impact on our perceptions of how something tastes.
I always wondered about that. I thought the 15-20 min additions gave lots of flavor but then I talked with a few people who did all their additions in 5 min or less. I go tto thinking how much of the "flavor" is just really a perception based on the aroma. That is why I decided to go all 5 min or less. I could probably move an addition or two to 10 min but I was of the mind that aroma is the key to getting that hop flavor. Am I wrong?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #22
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcdowd View Post
I always wondered about that. I thought the 15-20 min additions gave lots of flavor but then I talked with a few people who did all their additions in 5 min or less. I go tto thinking how much of the "flavor" is just really a perception based on the aroma. That is why I decided to go all 5 min or less. I could probably move an addition or two to 10 min but I was of the mind that aroma is the key to getting that hop flavor. Am I wrong?
No I don't think you're wrong. The best thing to do is make the beer twice and just change the 5 mins (adjusted for ibus) to 15 or 20 and see if you notice a big difference! I guess my rationale was that the 5 minute range might not give much difference in the amount of flavor/aroma you are getting compared to the 0 minute. But that just a guess. You could probably make a deliciously hoppy beer with using a bittering addition and 0 minute additions and then dryhopping.

So much room for a experimenting!

Old 01-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #23
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
No I don't think you're wrong. The best thing to do is make the beer twice and just change the 5 mins (adjusted for ibus) to 15 or 20 and see if you notice a big difference! I guess my rationale was that the 5 minute range might not give much difference in the amount of flavor/aroma you are getting compared to the 0 minute. But that just a guess. You could probably make a deliciously hoppy beer with using a bittering addition and 0 minute additions and then dryhopping.

So much room for a experimenting!
For sure. I'm gonna try that hop schedule on my next IPA anyway and see how it goes. Btw, love your avatar (I'm a Giants fan)

Old 01-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #24
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2270 Times on 1976 Posts
Likes Given: 1703

The thing is giving the boil enough time to pull the oils out of the hops for flavor,but not enough for bittering towards the end of the boil.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #25
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
The thing is giving the boil enough time to pull the oils out of the hops for flavor,but not enough for bittering towards the end of the boil.
Yeah I get that. I'm gonna add a 10 min addition maybe

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #26
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Great read. I've been toying with my IPAs for a while and just recently started really getting a grasp on them. This article helped shed some more light on the matter.

I'm going to try bittering with Summit, then adding all my other additions at 5min and flameout. Then dry hop with 4-5 oz.

I've been wanting more hop flavor and aroma and I think this will help get me there. I'm thinking something like this:

10 lbs 2 Row
0.5 lbs crystal 40
0.25 lbs cara-pils

1-2 oz. Summit @ 60 min (17%AA)
1 oz. Cascade @ 5 min
1 oz. Columbus @ 5 min
1 oz. Simcoe @ 5 min
1 oz. Cascade @ 0 min
1 oz. Columbus @ 0 min
1 oz. Simcoe @ 0 min

2 oz. Simcoe dry-hop
2 oz. Cascade dry-hop
1 oz. Columbus dry-hop

Ferment with US-05 or Wyeast 1056.

Too much hops?
You should split what you have there and move it up to the 15-7 minute range. That is where the flavor is at. I like to do a 7 min addition. Gives me bright flavor, and still get some aroma from it.

Try also, doing this. Toss in half of what you want at 0 minutes. Turn the chiller on, chill it to 170-160, and stop chilling. Make the rest of your additions for the 0 min. Stir it with your spoon/paddle that you've left in the boiling wort before you start to chill. Stir it up in the circle for a while and let it sit 10 minutes while you clean up. Turn the chiller on and let it rip to pitching temp. You will be loving the aroma and in turn, some flavor that you get from steeping the late addition hops in not boiling wort.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #27
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post

You should split what you have there and move it up to the 15-7 minute range. That is where the flavor is at. I like to do a 7 min addition. Gives me bright flavor, and still get some aroma from it.

Try also, doing this. Toss in half of what you want at 0 minutes. Turn the chiller on, chill it to 170-160, and stop chilling. Make the rest of your additions for the 0 min. Stir it with your spoon/paddle that you've left in the boiling wort before you start to chill. Stir it up in the circle for a while and let it sit 10 minutes while you clean up. Turn the chiller on and let it rip to pitching temp. You will be loving the aroma and in turn, some flavor that you get from steeping the late addition hops in not boiling wort.
Great ideas. I've read about aroma steeping at around 170. I think I'll try it. Maybe move half of my 5 minute additions to 10 mins, then do the same with flameout and aroma steep

Old 01-17-2013, 12:13 AM   #28
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Great ideas. I've read about aroma steeping at around 170. I think I'll try it. Maybe move half of my 5 minute additions to 10 mins, then do the same with flameout and aroma steep

Sounds like a plan. Only thing I can offer here, is to don't forget the bittering. I know people have different levels of what they like and want, and I've found myself that once I get the flavor and aroma, it almost makes it sweeter, and I find that the beer needs some balance back the other way. Once I started doing tons of late additions I upped the bittering slightly, and found that in a normal IPA, 60 IBU's is a good place to shoot for. 40-45 for pales.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-17-2013, 12:21 AM   #29
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post

Sounds like a plan. Only thing I can offer here, is to don't forget the bittering. I know people have different levels of what they like and want, and I've found myself that once I get the flavor and aroma, it almost makes it sweeter, and I find that the beer needs some balance back the other way. Once I started doing tons of late additions I upped the bittering slightly, and found that in a normal IPA, 60 IBU's is a good place to shoot for. 40-45 for pales.
Absolutely, I was thinking 75ish IBU. Last real good IPA I made was 87 IBU, but it was also 8%. Anyway, I think I'll need the bitterness in the 70's.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:26 AM   #30
wolfshado
Recipes 

Ok fellow brewers, i had my son take a 12 pack over to a house of hop heads and IPA snobs... and the result was GREAT. I thought it was just me that liked it because it was "my first baby" but the response from a blind taste test was that it was a hit. I am happy

Quick Reply