Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Making my Dry Irish Stout kit a little more stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
Testament
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Making my Dry Irish Stout kit a little more stout

Hello all,

I am new to brewing and just started over a little a month ago. I have since become addicted and love reading and learning all there is to know about home brewing.

I am about to brew my second beer which is a dry irish stout that contains the following:

1lbs Simpsons Roasted Barley
6lbs Gold Malt Syrup
2 oz cluster hops
Safale S-04 Ale Yeast

My question is this. I have 3 lbs of Muton's Dry LME, and 3 lbs of Muton's Dark DME. Is there anyway I could add a pound or 2 of one of these to make it more harty without ruining the flavor of this recipe? A friend of mine gave me these, so I want to use them sooner or later, but like I said, I don't want to sacrifice the flavor of the beer to just increase the gravity.

Also, Is there any issue with leaving the hops in the fermentor and not straining it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Every pound of DME you add will boost the ABV by a little under 1%. So, your initial recipe, which by eyeball looks to be about 4.5% alcohol, will jump to 5.4% with an additonal pound of DME.

Can you do this? Yes, you can. Should you? I dunno - personally, I'm not a fan of boosting recipes this way (although I definitely understand the temptation!). My preference would be to find a recipe with the type of "stoutiness" you want, and make that. That way, you have a tried-and-true recipe where the malts and hops are balanced for the ABV you end up with.

But hey, it's your beer - this is why we brew!

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 12-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Oh, and as for leaving the hops in the fermenter - this is bound to happen, don't worry about it any more than you need to. I try to leave most of the trub behind in the kettle, but I also want to get all the wort so some gunk always gets in. It just settles to the bottom, no worries.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 12-13-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I wouldn't do it unless you want to a sweet stout. I also don't think there is enough roasted barley to support it.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
Testament
Recipes 

Thank you gentlement. I also have an Irish Red kit that I'm going to make as well and was wondering if I could use any of it for that. I'm really trying to figure out how to utalize using this DMEs that I have.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
boostsr20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Ray View Post
I wouldn't do it unless you want to a sweet stout. I also don't think there is enough roasted barley to support it.
I disagree but adding the LME would make it more my style of stout. Reason being, I'm not a dry stout guy. 1 lb of Roasted barley is a lot. Especially for a 4.5% beer, but that's part of what makes it dry. I've used a lb of roasted barley for a 12% RIS and it was plenty. Adding all the LME you have wouldn't make it sweet, it would make it maltier and less dry though. I would do it in a heartbeat, but like I said, thats my personal preference.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
boostsr20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Oh yeah, the reason I said use the LME, is because it doesn't last as long as DME.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
Testament
Recipes 

Yeah, the reason I was asking it for the stout that I had was I wanted to make it a little less dry. So if my recipe changes to this, you think my 1 packet of yeast will still be able to handle the fermentation? Also, how long should my Dry Dark Malt Extract last in the vacuum sealed pack? Should I add the extra extract in later in the boil or at the beggining with my liquid malt extract?

Old 12-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #9
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostsr20 View Post
I disagree but adding the LME would make it more my style of stout. Reason being, I'm not a dry stout guy. 1 lb of Roasted barley is a lot. Especially for a 4.5% beer, but that's part of what makes it dry. I've used a lb of roasted barley for a 12% RIS and it was plenty. Adding all the LME you have wouldn't make it sweet, it would make it maltier and less dry though. I would do it in a heartbeat, but like I said, thats my personal preference.

Add some additional LME if that's what you like.

What other roasted grains were in your RIS?

Are you to have me believe 6 more pounds of extract to the original recipe is not going to impact residual sweetness?

Old 12-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
mfraier
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

I've brewed that kit......and actually have some bottled. It is simple to make and very good the way it is. If it were me I would leave it alone.

Quick Reply