Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Making multiple yeast starters from a vial or smack pack?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
dave8274
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Making multiple yeast starters from a vial or smack pack?

I have a stir plate on the way, so I can get into making starters. What I am wondering is, can I stretch out a a vial of yeast I may use often, like an American or London Ale, by making multiple starters from the same vial, or by saving some of the starter by making a little more than I need and saving some to make the next starter?

I'm not sure if that would create problems such as under-pitching the starter or anything else I'm not considering.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
k_mcarthur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 7

No problem at all, in fact a very good way to save $$$. Instead of making a 1L starter for a regular ale, make a 2L starter and pour half into a (sanitized) quart jar before pitching. Put jar in the fridge and next time you need it make a new starter from it and the circle continues. Best way is to plate your new strain, never have to count generations.

Give a man a beer and he wastes an hour, teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
dave8274
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_mcarthur View Post
No problem at all, in fact a very good way to save $$$. Instead of making a 1L starter for a regular ale, make a 2L starter and pour half into a (sanitized) quart jar before pitching. Put jar in the fridge and next time you need it make a new starter from it and the circle continues. Best way is to plate your new strain, never have to count generations.
Awesome, thanks!

What exactly do you mean by 'plate your new strain'?

Also, once I have that 1L in the jar and I want to use it, how much of it would I use to make the next starter? I would assume all of it to make another 2L and repeat?

Old 09-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
dgr
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 39

If you brew often enough, divide the "extra" starter into multiple small jars. That reduces your generation count. Treat the small jars as vials when making more starters. When you get to the last one, repeat the process.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Have a look at my Yeast Harvesting - a non-slant method.

MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 770 Times on 543 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I just did this with a pack of Wyeast 1728 so i could use it in a beer and in a cider. Worked like a charm. For the beer half, I used a 1 pint starter as the first step, the stepped it up to 1.5 L. That was probably overkill, but two fermenters are happily chugging along right now.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
dave8274
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'm definitely going to check that out. I assume I could do the same thing if I wanted by starting with the washed trub of a US-05 or Nottingham batch (I use those a ton), or would it be best to start with a liquid equivalent?

Old 09-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
k_mcarthur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8274 View Post

Awesome, thanks!

What exactly do you mean by 'plate your new strain'?

Also, once I have that 1L in the jar and I want to use it, how much of it would I use to make the next starter? I would assume all of it to make another 2L and repeat?
Search "plating yeast" on this forum, there is a really good step by step pictorial here. Basically you are making petri dishes and growing isolated yeast cultures.

I always decant spent wort and pour yeast slurry into new starter. Dividing into smaller jars is a better idea, I was just trying to simplify.

Give a man a beer and he wastes an hour, teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
dave8274
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_mcarthur View Post
Search "plating yeast" on this forum, there is a really good step by step pictorial here. Basically you are making petri dishes and growing isolated yeast cultures.

I always decant spent wort and pour yeast slurry into new starter. Dividing into smaller jars is a better idea, I was just trying to simplify.
I found this thread with pics called "Slanting Yeast" http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/slanting-yeast-133103/, is that what you were referring to, or possibly the link above called Yeast Harvesting - a non slant method?

Old 09-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
k_mcarthur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/entries/...-colonies.html

here is the tutorial I was referring to.

Quick Reply