Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Making liqueurs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
RobWalker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Don't use "Super Yeast" from your LHBS or anything of the suchlike - all I've heard is bad things, flavor wise. I'm fermenting a fruit cocktail "liquor" now using Gervin GV4 (which is a wine yeast,) - I've made it before, and because there's syrup in the recipe itself, it definitely comes out a little sticky! Might be something to consider. Can't speak for distillers yeast, no idea.

As for mixing vodka with fruit, they do this as a hobby in...Holland I think? I completely forget what it's called, but if anybody can find out what they call it, there's a site out there with a tonne of recipes on. To infuse, make sure you leave it in the dark, and for a couple of months - it'll lose the color otherwise. Gah, that's gonna bug me now.

Oh and, to reduce any sort of crappy flavors and get a purer liquor taste, there are some things you can do. Degassing is one, and have a read through this - although it's for beer, the information is pretty transferrable. The less of these off flavors you have, the purer your "liquor" will taste!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #12
davefleck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Make a huge yeast starter, it pitch on a yeast cake. Don't start with a huge OG. Let it ferment then gradually step it up with extract it boiled down wort. At each addition hit it with O2 so it doesn't stall.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply