Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Making liqueurs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
renshaw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Making liqueurs?

I searched on Google and on here and couldn't much information on thsi subject,
I was wondering how hard it would be to make something around 20 - 23 percent (so not distilling) that resembled fruit based liqueurs.

(A Guess)
Is it simply, Water sugar + super yeast then flavours?
How do you create the density of the liquid etc.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #2
leviticus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would suggest maltodextrin for changing the viscosity and adding the texture that liqueurs usually have.

I'm curious though if yeast would be able to get ABV up to 23% without side effects/much difficulty. I have little to no knowledge of this aspect of your experiment though.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
renshaw
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leviticus View Post
I would suggest maltodextrin for changing the viscosity and adding the texture that liqueurs usually have.

I'm curious though if yeast would be able to get ABV up to 23% without side effects/much difficulty. I have little to no knowledge of this aspect of your experiment though.
All i seen was 23% on a packet of yeast called "super yeast"
So i was wondering the same as you!

I've used a maltodextrin supplement for energy at the gym!

Old 06-17-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
cuttsjp
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I haven't had as much experience with liqueurs as I would like, but if you're looking to get something that's around 20-23% ABV, you'll probably want to make/get some fruit purée/juice, then up the gravity using sugar. There are a few great distillers' yeasts out there, so if you want to get it to 20% or so without distillation, you can use a distillers' yeast like Wyeast 4347 Eau de Vie and it'll get your mixture up there. And seeing as the yeast won't survive past 21% ABV or so, once fermentation is complete, you could definitely backsweeten it to your taste.

Another good option is to basically make a fruit wine (using pretty much the same techniques described above) but to ferment with wine yeast (like montrachet champagne or something) and then do a little freeze distillation. That way you can just freeze it for a little while (not until the whole thing is frozen), decant off the ice, and keep the remaining liquid.

Of course the easiest way to get around this is just to make infused vodkas. They are amazing and wonderful and all you really need is some vodka, fruit/spices/flavorings, some containers (mason jars are good for experimenting) and a really small amount of time (usually only around 2-4 weeks). Easy peasy lemon squeezy...but those will be the strength of vodka (but they won't taste like it).

Good luck

On tap: Limerick Session Stout, Junior/Senior Amarillo RyePA, Ralph Partigyle Bitter, Saison de Potiron
On Deck: Yazoo Gerst Clone, Experimental Belgian Mild, Nelson Sauvin SMaSH bitter, Belgian IPA, Coffee Cream Stout
Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
leviticus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, your other problem in getting a product similar to the shelf liqueurs would be flavors contributed by whatever you're fermenting. Distilling is what clears up and removes all the crap from grain alcohol...

I'm sure you could use sugars that would contribute little to the end result, but something tells me that there would be esters and such in there that would simply be too powerful to overcome with flavoring alone.

So...

perhaps a 1 gallon batch with enough dextrose to get an OG where you want, ferment with your superyeast, rack (filtering would probably be the bare minimum here), neutralize of yeast, and back-sweeten/texturize with maltodextrin & flavor?

Old 06-17-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
leviticus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttsjp View Post
of course the easiest way to get around this is just to make infused vodkas. They are amazing and wonderful and all you really need is some vodka, fruit/spices/flavorings, some containers (mason jars are good for experimenting) and a really small amount of time (usually only around 2-4 weeks). Easy peasy lemon squeezy...but those will be the strength of vodka (but they won't taste like it).
+1

Old 06-30-2011, 01:08 AM   #7
dayflyer55
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i found Kits on midwest supplie to do exactly what you are talking about. Anyone know how and how well this works??

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/hazelnut-brandy-kit.html

Old 06-30-2011, 01:16 AM   #8
Snicks
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I tried some of these "super yeast" packs a years ago and they were absolutely horrendous. They make high alcohol for sure, but that doesn't mean you can really drink it.

As already mentioned you would need a vodka or similar neutral alcohol base to flavour. The density or body comes from the sugars (never fermented), and sometimes added glycerine.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:59 AM   #9
hudsonj6
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttsjp View Post
Of course the easiest way to get around this is just to make infused vodkas. They are amazing and wonderful and all you really need is some vodka, fruit/spices/flavorings, some containers (mason jars are good for experimenting) and a really small amount of time (usually only around 2-4 weeks). Easy peasy lemon squeezy...but those will be the strength of vodka (but they won't taste like it).
I think there's an old book kickin around my house somewhere that was given to my parents as a gift before I was even born that has tons of recipes that just call for adding fruit/spices ect to vodka and a few other hard alcohols as well.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #10
drathbone
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I've been told distillers yeast should work fine to get you up to around 20% abv, but get a blowoff tube because they are ravenous monsters.

Quick Reply