Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Making Cooper's kits more bitter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
SFBEER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Making Cooper's kits more bitter

I'm still green to brewing and have what might be a simple question for the rest of you. I'm using the Cooper's kits right now due to a lack of time (3 kids keeping me pretty busy) but would like to tweek the flavour a little. I have stopped using Dextrose and gone to LME and dry hopping in a secondary. It has made a big difference in the quality of the beer. I'm only on my 3rd batch and I can tell the difference.

The problem is the kits still seem a little sweet to me. Can I boil some hops in the initial 2 litres of boiling water that I am using to mix the kit contents to add a little bitterness or do I need to just let the beer condition longer and the sweetness will fade. I have left the first batch a month now and it still seems sweet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

Quote:
Can I boil some hops in the initial 2 litres of boiling water that I am using to mix the kit contents to add a little bitterness
Yes. Boiling 10 grams of any high AA% hop for 30 minutes will add about 10 IBU to a 23L batch.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
tusca
Recipes 

I've used two kits in the past to make a more bitter beer, works great so that's using 2 pre-hopped tins and no extra sugars.

Quick Reply