The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Making a beer "maltier"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
DrakeSuperbus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default Making a beer "maltier"

I brewed this beer as my sixth batch: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f64/pyrr...ory-esb-70129/

The only deviation from the recipe is that I let it sit in primary for ~6 weeks. I broke my thumb shortly after my brewday, and I had to wait for the cast to come off before I could bottle. Also, the recipe did not list a dryhop time, so I dryhopped for one week. Unfortunately, I forgot to get an OG/FG, but every brew I've had so far has been within +/- .03 from listed recipes, so I'm sure I was close.

The beer is good. However, I like my ESBs to have bigger mouthfeel and a slightly maltier character. This beer is just a little dry for me. This is something I'd like to start messing with.

Since I'm pretty comfortable with the mechanics of brewing extract by now, I would like to start getting away from simply following a recipe. I would like to start by modifying this recipe into an ESB that suits my tastes a bit more. The problem is that I have no idea where to start. I have no idea how different hops/extract/etc. will change a beer. For instance, if I change from light to amber, lme to dme, 6.6lbs to 8lbs, EKG to Citra, or any other minute change, I wouldn't be able to predict the result.

Is there anywhere I can go to get a primer on this sort of knowledge? If not, can someone at least point me in the right direction for modifying this particular recipe?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 01:52 AM   #2
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 39

You can try adding some of the "cara" malts, they are more dextrinous. Also, small amounts of wheat malt can help with body. Dextrin itself is an option.

Another option is a yeast that does not attenuate as well, the manufacturers will give the attenuation for each yeast type.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 03-14-2012, 01:55 AM   #3
Dougan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not sure on any resources, but steeping some Carapils/Carafoam will increase body.

"Traffic. If only it were as light as your beer" - Miller MGD 64 truck. A thought I have every day while driving in heavy traffic, downing light beers.

Search Recipes by Ingredients | Check out my brewing recipes!

Primary: Lagunitas IPA Clone
Kegged: German Pilsner, Clydesdale (Spotted Cow Clone)

Old 03-14-2012, 02:55 AM   #4
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1188

If your only doing extract try some maltodextrin,and a scottish yeast or a lower attenuating yeast. I like barley flakes. A little wheat will help also for body.Higher mash abv and higher finish.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:58 AM   #5
TheChemist
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

You have several options - first and foremost for a less-dry beer, just mash a couple degrees higher. 68c is a good place to aim for.

For 'maltier' tastes, you can add some different specialty malts (as already suggested by our awesome fellow homebrew dudes). My favourites for this include melanoidin malt (USE SPARINGLY!), and you can sub out quite a bit of Vienna or Munich for pale in most recipes with satisfying results.

You could try a decoction mash - cook some, or all, of your mash to create 'stepped' mashing temps. There are soooo many threads on this for procedure, but the idea is the caramelisation helps create fun flavours.

Finally, you could try using a yeast with a very subdued flavour to let the malt shine.

Have fun!

Quick Reply