Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Made a starter...what should it look like?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
Gritsak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Default Made a starter...what should it look like?

Made a starter using 1 liter of water to 1/4 cup DME, per recommendation by Midwest. Activator yeast was smacked about 18hrs prior to pitching it in the starter, and was swelled up quite well.

It's been about 18hrs since i made the starter and I'm not really sure what i should be seeing. When i swirl it around, it gets cloudy with a frothy head, but once it sits for a minute it just looks like cloudy apple juice with a layer of yeast on the bottom.

I have it in my thermostat controlled fridge at 70-72 degrees.

Hopefully this is normal, as i plan to brew on Friday or Saturday.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yep, sounds all normal.

Might be too soon to crash cool and decant so I would just pitch the whole thing into the wort.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 935 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

+1 to what Dontman said. I almost never get anything that looks like active fermentation in my starters - no krausen. The growing layer of yeast at the bottom shows that they have prospered and multiplied!

Old 09-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 513 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 76

If I can piggy back a question to this thread, what should a starter taste like?

I have seen comments in the past both for and against tasting a starter. I chose not to do it. However, I recently had an infection that I think was caused by unsanitarily washed yeast, so having a ballpark clue about the taste of a 1.040 grav starter would taste like could be helpful before my next batch. I'm talking about a wort from an ordinary bitter.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
Catch-22
Recipes 

I do my starters in an old "Sea Monkeys" aquarium so that when I'm bored I like to watch them playing baseball and riding in the park.

Dwight Schrute: In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #6
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
If I can piggy back a question to this thread, what should a starter taste like?

I have seen comments in the past both for and against tasting a starter. I chose not to do it. However, I recently had an infection that I think was caused by unsanitarily washed yeast, so having a ballpark clue about the taste of a 1.040 grav starter would taste like could be helpful before my next batch. I'm talking about a wort from an ordinary bitter.
My light dme starters taste like light unhopped beer if that makes sense. Not very good but no wanky off flavors either.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #7
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 513 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
My light dme starters taste like light unhopped beer if that makes sense. Not very good but no wanky off flavors either.
Yup! Thanks. That makes perfect sense (To me, at least) I will be tasting them from now on. I'm not even sure why I never did, I mean, I taste every other darn thing!

Old 09-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #8
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I liter water to 1/4 cup DME? That's going to be a seriously undernourished starter with an OG of 1.010 - 1.012. I'd step it up with at least an extra 1/2 cup DME, boiled in about 1/2 pint water, and then cooled.

-a,

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #9
Gritsak
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
I liter water to 1/4 cup DME? That's going to be a seriously undernourished starter with an OG of 1.010 - 1.012. I'd step it up with at least an extra 1/2 cup DME, boiled in about 1/2 pint water, and then cooled.

-a,

That is the ratio Midwest told me to use. Would using smack pack a day prior, like i did, make any difference?

Old 09-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Or you can pitch with what you made, because it will still be pretty okay, and learn that for next time you probably want to go with about a cup of dme for the liter.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Quick Reply