Made a Mistake, What Can I Expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osagedr

Recovering from Sobriety
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I set out today to do a "tweak" of a Brew House (by RJ Spagnols) Cream Ale kit. It's supposed to yield a ruby porter. Basically you have a cream ale and add crystal malt and chocolate malt. The instructions are in the "Too Much Armour, Not Enough Porter" part of the link below:

http://www.thebrewhouse.com/resource_center/the_inner.htm

The recipe should yield 5 gallons. I messed up and added the whole 15 litres of my Cream Ale wort instead of 3 gallons (about 12 litres). I thus have (you guessed it) 22 litres of beer going instead of the intended 19 litres. As an aside my LHBS didn't have Wyeast 1318 London Ale III so I used Wyeast 1029 London Ale instead (1 litre starter). My OG was 1.053.

What can I expect this kit to turn out like given the extra volume? Given that it was extra wort as opposed to extra water added should the effects of my mistake be minimal on the final product?

Very minor from the wort. You'll have more of an impact from the yeast change, 1029 will ferment drier and less fruity than 1318.

david_42 is right on...the yeast change will have a big impact bringing fruit notes to a beer style not normally known for fruit but an OG of 1.053 should ferment out nicely probably yielding a nice session beer around 5%...

let us know how it comes out, maybe save some to try after brewing another batch with the yeast you intended to see how it impacted the flavor...

Thanks guys; padstack31 (I'm guess that's a goalie reference?) I interpreted david_42's response to mean I could expect a less fruity beer, not more fruity as a result of the yeast change.

Both the starter and the beer (pre-fermentation) smelled fantastic.

Also started a Winterfest today.

Bottled this beer tonight and am very optimistic it will turn out well. This is the first beer I've made that I thought tasted great at bottling. Can't wait to see what it's like in a month!

Back