Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mad Elf Ale... any thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 01:53 AM   #11
DocScott
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 83 Posts

I made an all grain version of this a few weeks back - I would use extract next time to more easily boost the gravity, but I wanted to try it AG this go 'round. It is still in primary (after 3 weeks). I'll probably transfer onto the cherries next weekend then bottle after another few weeks. I'm gonna crack some open with my brewing buddy, the reason I made this clone attempt, on Christmas eve, but I expect a hot, boozey beer after only 2-3 months. May throw the rest in the back of the closet and pull 'em out for "Christmas in July" or December 2013. I mashed really low and hit 1.098. Hoping to get around 80% attenuation out of the trappist ale and finish a bit above 10% once all said and done.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #12
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer View Post
Good thoughts. I went almost directly to AG on my third brew and never looked back. I started with spring water but then decided it had to be city water. I don't think the upgrades have to be a big deal at first. They are more about convenience. I use BIAB in an unconverted 5g cooler; I even fly sparge that bad boy. It cost me peanuts and I'm getting acceptable gravity. I'm sure that if I upgrade/convert, I will be pleasantly surprised at what I've been missing. 5 gallon coolers are awesome. I will miss mine if I ever stop using it. The Home Depot five gallon strainers fit perfectly around the lip and 99% of stainless steel colanders fit perfectly at the top.

This is because I only make 3 gallon batches. Works for me.
See, my guess is most folks would rather stick to extract making outstanding, 40+ point beers, than be relegated to 3 gallon batches. If you want to go AG and make 5 gallon batches, you ARE talking about buying additional equipment, possibly moving outdoors, buying a burner, chiller, etc etc. BTW... I get you'll get better efficiency doing a BIAB if you start dunk sparging! Seriously, try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocScott View Post
I made an all grain version of this a few weeks back - I would use extract next time to more easily boost the gravity, but I wanted to try it AG this go 'round. It is still in primary (after 3 weeks). I'll probably transfer onto the cherries next weekend then bottle after another few weeks. I'm gonna crack some open with my brewing buddy, the reason I made this clone attempt, on Christmas eve, but I expect a hot, boozey beer after only 2-3 months. May throw the rest in the back of the closet and pull 'em out for "Christmas in July" or December 2013. I mashed really low and hit 1.098. Hoping to get around 80% attenuation out of the trappist ale and finish a bit above 10% once all said and done.
Yea.. something this high gravity definitely seems to be looking for some extract boost to reach gravity.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
scoundrel
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale. 4 months at the most. February at the latest.
Just for the record (and hopefully without sounding snarky), a barley wine is an ale. I also agree with kpr121, 15-25 minutes is good for specialty grains. The recipe looks good, let us know how it turns out!

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 11-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #14
jdgapc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

question on the cherries, i wanted to know if you could substitute marchaino cherries (in the jar) or cherry pie filling (in a can) and if so how much would you use?

Old 11-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #15
metanoia
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel View Post
Just for the record (and hopefully without sounding snarky), a barley wine is an ale. I also agree with kpr121, 15-25 minutes is good for specialty grains. The recipe looks good, let us know how it turns out!
Yes, but not every ale is a barley wine. That's what OP was saying.
On Deck:

Thinking about racking to a secondary? Read this first.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
yeoitsmatt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

UPDATE!!! My OG came in at 1.110... and thats not including the 2lbs of honey that went into the fermenter. I pitched almost 1 cup of slurry (trappist WLP) and it chewed through it! Went from 1.110 to 1.040 in about a week. it's been about 3 weeks now and this weekend will be the last week before i secondary it w/ the cherries...

As far as the steeping is concerned i wanted to do a beta rest. hence 103. but you don't have to do it.. i just didnt want my grain getting all stuck together... it's close proximity in a grain bag.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #17
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
UPDATE!!! My OG came in at 1.110... and thats not including the 2lbs of honey that went into the fermenter. I pitched almost 1 cup of slurry (trappist WLP) and it chewed through it! Went from 1.110 to 1.040 in about a week. it's been about 3 weeks now and this weekend will be the last week before i secondary it w/ the cherries...

As far as the steeping is concerned i wanted to do a beta rest. hence 103. but you don't have to do it.. i just didnt want my grain getting all stuck together... it's close proximity in a grain bag.
Beta rest on your steeping grains? That's a mashing procedure for a recipe with a large amount of unmalted or flaked rye, oat, or wheat. The AG brewers are worried about stuck sparging. Steeping specialty grains, which are already converted during the malting process, is merely to extract. This is a very robust process and works perfectly within a range of conditions including temp changes and volume differences.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:40 AM   #18
yeoitsmatt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know its for all grain brewing but it just sounded like something i should do anyway. I mean it didnt hurt anything, although it may not have ADDED anything either...i think i confused it with a three step mash process... i read about it in Palmers "How to Brew" and i get a lot of things mixed up in my head sometimes.... no biggie. so far so good with the brew though...

Old 11-10-2012, 01:44 AM   #19
scoundrel
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I know its for all grain brewing but it just sounded like something i should do anyway. I mean it didnt hurt anything, although it may not have ADDED anything either...i think i confused it with a three step mash process... i read about it in Palmers "How to Brew" and i get a lot of things mixed up in my head sometimes.... no biggie. so far so good with the brew though...
Keep learning buddy. It's all good. You're thinking all grain so maybe you should make the leap! BIAB is a good way to go that won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 11-10-2012, 02:47 AM   #20
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
See, my guess is most folks would rather stick to extract making outstanding, 40+ point beers, than be relegated to 3 gallon batches. If you want to go AG and make 5 gallon batches, you ARE talking about buying additional equipment, possibly moving outdoors, buying a burner, chiller, etc etc. BTW... I get you'll get better efficiency doing a BIAB if you start dunk sparging! Seriously, try it.
I think I make excellent beer with what I have. I truly believe equipment is for making beer more easily, with better guarantees, but not for making it better.

Extract gives a guarantee of gravity, but it lack control and authenticity. I am ignorant about the results of extract, and that is my choice. I'd rather be in control, even if it's with down and dirty equipment. I'm actually not that concerned about alcohol content.

Quick Reply