Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > lumpy yeast cake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 02:06 AM   #1
strangebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default lumpy yeast cake

I transferred my last batch into the keg and was going to wash my yeast when the sediment consisted of lumpy looking yeast. I've never run into this before, should I go ahead and wash it or is the yeast bad? The sample had a off flavor I couldn't place. It was also the first time I've used a counterflow wort chiller. heres a pic, it was taken as your looking down into the carboy.

Just made: amarillo wheat
On Tap:milk stout, caramel ale, oatmeal stout
up next: centennial ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2008, 04:02 AM   #2
quickerNu

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looks fine to me. Some strains clump up, some don't. No biggie.

[I'm back!]

Old 07-26-2008, 04:04 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

You're fine...All yeastcakes are different, and some are down right hideous...I just realized tonight I hate notingham, mostly because of the krauzen curdles.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply