Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Lowest Temp For Wyeast California Lager?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010, 03:09 AM   #1
RyanK2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lowest Temp For Wyeast California Lager?

I know it recommends 58-68 being optimal fermentation conditions and I could probably hold in that range, but just because I'm curious I've lowered it a bit further. Does anyone know anything about this yeast and its characteristics at different temps? Right now it's holding at 56.5F and it's fermenting like crazy 24 hrs after pitching. It smells like banana bread in there, almost hefe-ish but I'm doing a "bock" with this hybrid yeast.

Bottled: Weihenstephan Hefe Clone, Kärcher Bock, Kölsch, Oktober Wheat, Simcoe Slam IPA, Apfelwein, Red Trappist Dubbel, Dunkleweizen, Simcoe Slam IIPA, Hoppy Hefe, Come All Ye Faithful Christmas Ale, Gingerbread Ale, Wits End Kristal Wit, Kärcher Haus Pale, Nocturia Black IPA......too many.

http://walledlakebrewing.blogspot.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2010, 04:38 AM   #2
AFAJ Brew Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My question would be is 56.5 the ambient temp or the temp as measured in the fermenter? Generally things are about 5-6 degrees warmer in the fermenter than what ambient is.

As for the temp range, you have to remember that this a lager yeast, so in my opinion you could probably get a few degrees lower, maybe down to 55 and still be fine. I don't think I would try to go any lower than that.

"There seems to be an over abundance of beer related items in this house." -SWMBO

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply