Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Low Volume = No Secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #11
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 399

I think the risks involved with transferring to a secondary tend to be overblown. Not say that there aren't any risks, but I've transferred many beers to a secondary and have never had a problem. As long as you're not careless and you know how to sanitize, I think it's more difficult to harm the beer than many make it out to be.

That being said, I do understand argument of whether or not it's necessary, or even useful. Personally, if I'm going to be aging a beer for longer than a couple months, I'll transfer it off the yeast simply as a precaution. There may or may not be risks associated with leaving it on the yeast for long periods of time, but I don't really want to find out. If I'm brewing a lighter beer and I want something that's as clear as possible, I'll cold crash, transfer to a secondary for a couple weeks, and cold crash again. It does help make clearer beer, but that doesn't necessarily affect the quality. It's simply aesthetics.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #12
Kingfish
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZymurgist View Post
I think the risks involved with transferring to a secondary tend to be overblown. Not say that there aren't any risks, but I've transferred many beers to a secondary and have never had a problem. As long as you're not careless and you know how to sanitize, I think it's more difficult to harm the beer than many make it out to be.

That being said, I do understand argument of whether or not it's necessary, or even useful. Personally, if I'm going to be aging a beer for longer than a couple months, I'll transfer it off the yeast simply as a precaution. There may or may not be risks associated with leaving it on the yeast for long periods of time, but I don't really want to find out. If I'm brewing a lighter beer and I want something that's as clear as possible, I'll cold crash, transfer to a secondary for a couple weeks, and cold crash again. It does help make clearer beer, but that doesn't necessarily affect the quality. It's simply aesthetics.
I absolutely agree. A new brewer with a brown ale though, there is just no need for a "secondary"...Main point being there is no reason TO transfer to another vessel and plenty of reason not to.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:52 AM   #13
cander38
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
Ferment until FG is reached (How long you let it sit in primary depends on what it is....2-4 weeks is the range. You could reach your final gravity in 3 days but if you bottle after 3 days you will not be bottling the beer at its best.) ---> Place entire fermenter in fridge at approx 38-40* for 4-7 days (2 days is fine) ---> Remove from fridge, prime, bottle and cap (should I let the beer warm to 70* before capping?-(No, need just make sure you use the current beer temp as a factor when you figure priming sugar quantities.))---> Store at 70* for 2-3 days (WEEKS not days) ---> Refrigerate beer and open one a week or so until properly carbonated.--(YES)
The recipe I am following says to bottle and store at room temperature (70* where I keep it) for 2-3 days and then cool to 50-60 for 1-3 weeks. I don't have the means (besides putting all the bottles in a water bath) to keep the bottles at 50-60, so I was going to go straight to the fridge. Should I just keep them at 70* for 2-3 weeks before refrigeration, or should I put all the bottles in a water bath (seems absurd, but if I'll get better beer...)?

Thanks for the feedback... if the beer's good, I'll drink one for you!

Old 08-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #14
cander38
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZymurgist View Post
I've been given the same impression by reading through the forums, but am just trying to eliminate as much risk as possible for my first brew.

As I'm just starting out, my plan is to go with only my primary this time and then (assuming I liked what I brewed) brewing the same thing a couple batches down the road and using the secondary that go-around, then compare my notes on taste, clarity, etc..

Old 08-29-2012, 04:02 AM   #15
Kingfish
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cander38

The recipe I am following says to bottle and store at room temperature (70* where I keep it) for 2-3 days and then cool to 50-60 for 1-3 weeks. I don't have the means (besides putting all the bottles in a water bath) to keep the bottles at 50-60, so I was going to go straight to the fridge. Should I just keep them at 70* for 2-3 weeks before refrigeration, or should I put all the bottles in a water bath (seems absurd, but if I'll get better beer...)?

It must be a typo. I had a beer carb in 4 days but that was my first batch and it sat at 90f in the spare room closet....It was not good but did get better. 3 weeks at 70f is the conventional wisdom...More for big dark beers less for light small beers. Then chill for a couple days.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:24 AM   #16
Kingfish
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cander38

I've been given the same impression by reading through the forums, but am just trying to eliminate as much risk as possible for my first brew.

As I'm just starting out, my plan is to go with only my primary this time and then (assuming I liked what I brewed) brewing the same thing a couple batches down the road and using the secondary that go-around, then compare my notes on taste, clarity, etc..
Sounds like a plan.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #17
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by cander38 View Post

Many yeasts will "shutdown" at 50-60 Degrees....

I think when carbonating room temp is fine... (for 2 weeks)

If you then want to "Bottle Condition/age" sure put it a 50-60 degrees for a while...
For a High Hop or Alcohol beer this will smooth out its rough edges.

Quick Reply