The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Low SG, what can I do to help final ABC?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
crjohn02
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Low SG, what can I do to help final ABC?

Hi all! I'm new to the forums, but have heard great things about this board. I am 1.5 batches into my brewing "career" (1st, English Brown Ale; 2nd Continental Pilsner). The brown ale was a kit as well as the pilsner. Last night I decided to go off the beaten path and make my own recipe. I'm very anxious to try it. When I measured the SG it only measured 1.022. What could cause this? By my calculations, my final ABC won't be very high. Is there any way I can help to add sugars in between 1st ferm and 2nd ferm to help with final ABC? Thanks in advance!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
manoaction
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What's your recipe? We need more info to be of any help.

It sounds like you've already brewed the recipe. In that case, I would recommend enjoying your session beer and change stuff for next time rather than tinkering with an already brewed beer.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:23 AM   #3
crjohn02
Recipes 

Yes, I have brewed it. I used a total of 24 oz grains (8 Wheat, 16 caramel malt), 3.3 lbs Light LME, 3/8 cup honey, 2 lbs Wheat DME, 1 oz Tettenger hop pellets, 1 oz Fuggle hop pellets, 1 oz Liberty hop pellets and I added the zest of 1 lemon.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:45 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjohn02 View Post
Yes, I have brewed it. I used a total of 24 oz grains (8 Wheat, 16 caramel malt), 3.3 lbs Light LME, 3/8 cup honey, 2 lbs Wheat DME, 1 oz Tettenger hop pellets, 1 oz Fuggle hop pellets, 1 oz Liberty hop pellets and I added the zest of 1 lemon.
The sugars don't disappear, so they are in there! What probably happened is you used some water to top up the fermenter, so the heavier wort sunk to the bottom.

If you used 3.3 pounds of LME, 3/8 cup honey (no idea how many ounces by weight that is, so I"ll have to guess, but it's not much), and 2 pounds DME, your OG MUST be about 1.042 if you have five gallons. The sugars are there, and are a "set" amount so they can't give you a wrong OG.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:49 AM   #5
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
The sugars don't disappear, so they are in there! What probably happened is you used some water to top up the fermenter, so the heavier wort sunk to the bottom.

If you used 3.3 pounds of LME, 3/8 cup honey (no idea how many ounces by weight that is, so I"ll have to guess, but it's not much), and 2 pounds DME, your OG MUST be about 1.042 if you have five gallons. The sugars are there, and are a "set" amount so they can't give you a wrong OG.
Unless, of course, the DME was antimatter DME. Then they would annihilate each other and you would definitely have a low gravity.

But yeah, what Yooper said.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #6
crjohn02
Recipes 

OK, thanks guys! Come to think of it I'm not sure I stirred it after adding the water to bring the fermenter to 5 gallons.

Quick Reply