Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Low OG every time
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 01:18 AM   #1
Yourrealdad
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Glenwood Springs, CO
Posts: 149
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Low OG every time

I just brewed up m 4th batch of beer and it was Yooper's Dogfish head 60 min clone. I came up with a OG of 1.061-2 (temp taken at 67) that puts me about .01 off of target. I seem to always be getting lower numbers than the recipes I follow. Any ideas why?

I do 5 gallon extract full boils, and usually end up with about 5ish gallons in the fermentor. Probably about 1/4-1/2 gallon of trub leftover.

This time the recipe called for 9.5 lbs LME and I used 9 lbs LME and a little over .5 lbs DME which should put me over the required amount.

I have also brewed Ed's robust porter twice with 9 lbs LME and the last time I did I got a OG of 1.063 which seems low for that, but even higher than what I just brewed.

I am putting all the extract in at the beginning which seems to be what everyone else has done.

Thanks for the help and let me know what other info I need to give you.
Thanks

__________________
Yourrealdad is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,052
Liked 4462 Times on 3248 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourrealdad View Post
I just brewed up m 4th batch of beer and it was Yooper's Dogfish head 60 min clone. I came up with a OG of 1.061-2 (temp taken at 67) that puts me about .01 off of target. I seem to always be getting lower numbers than the recipes I follow. Any ideas why?

I do 5 gallon extract full boils, and usually end up with about 5ish gallons in the fermentor. Probably about 1/4-1/2 gallon of trub leftover.

This time the recipe called for 9.5 lbs LME and I used 9 lbs LME and a little over .5 lbs DME which should put me over the required amount.

I have also brewed Ed's robust porter twice with 9 lbs LME and the last time I did I got a OG of 1.063 which seems low for that, but even higher than what I just brewed.

I am putting all the extract in at the beginning which seems to be what everyone else has done.

Thanks for the help and let me know what other info I need to give you.
Thanks
Are you just dumping out the 1/2 gallon of leftover "trub"? If so, you're loosing a 1/2 gallon of wort, unaccounted for in the recipe, and that would explain a lower OG of the final volume.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 01:46 AM   #3
agcorry00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 145
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Have you calibrated your hydrometer?

__________________

"We don't sell Duff, we sell Fudd."

agcorry00 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 02:00 AM   #4
Yourrealdad
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Glenwood Springs, CO
Posts: 149
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Yes I am dumping out the trub, I didn't know you were supposed to pour that in. Will keeping that increase the OG or should I boil off more to get more concentration and then add trub?

I just put my hydrometer into 60 degree (tap) do I need RO water and the reading came out as 1.005 so would that mean that that my readings are always .005 lower? Even FG?

Thanks

__________________
Yourrealdad is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 02:11 AM   #5
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Illinois, Lake County
Posts: 857
Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourrealdad
Yes I am dumping out the trub, I didn't know you were supposed to pour that in. Will keeping that increase the OG or should I boil off more to get more concentration and then add trub?

I just put my hydrometer into 60 degree (tap) do I need RO water and the reading came out as 1.005 so would that mean that that my readings are always .005 lower? Even FG?

Thanks
Whether you put the trub in or not will not change your OG. What volume you have at the end of the boil does. I'm not familiar with the recipe, but my calculations for that amount of LME and DME with 5.5 gallons says the gravity should be 1.063. So what's the problem? Are there mashed or steeping grains too?

1.005 is really high. Yes RO is better, but I doubt tap water would throw it off by more than 2 pts.
__________________
Hex23 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 02:19 AM   #6
aiptasia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Them Scary Woods, FL
Posts: 3,519
Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Default

I also think it's your boil volume. You should either be A) experiencing more evaporation during your boils which will raise the OG, or you are B) adding top-off water to your batches to level them out at the "5ish" gallon mark in your fermenter and that's "thinning" the batch.

__________________
Paranormal Brewing
Beer so good, it's frightening.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.
aiptasia is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 02:43 AM   #7
Yourrealdad
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Glenwood Springs, CO
Posts: 149
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
I also think it's your boil volume. You should either be A) experiencing more evaporation during your boils which will raise the OG, or you are B) adding top-off water to your batches to level them out at the "5ish" gallon mark in your fermenter and that's "thinning" the batch.
I guess I can try boiling off more but like I said I only have 1/4-1/2 G of trub leftover which seems pretty normal from what I have read.

I have never added water after a boil/ topping off.

Hex, I have a little more than 5G in my primary but Not near 5.5. Recipe is for 5 G, but it is a partial boil recipe (2.5G). Would this make a difference?
__________________
Yourrealdad is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 02:44 AM   #8
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Illinois, Lake County
Posts: 857
Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia
I also think it's your boil volume. You should either be A) experiencing more evaporation during your boils which will raise the OG, or you are B) adding top-off water to your batches to level them out at the "5ish" gallon mark in your fermenter and that's "thinning" the batch.
+1. I see the recipe now. It's written to put 5 gallons into the fermenter.
__________________
Hex23 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 02:59 AM   #9
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Illinois, Lake County
Posts: 857
Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourrealdad
Hex, I have a little more than 5G in my primary but Not near 5.5. Recipe is for 5 G, but it is a partial boil recipe (2.5G). Would this make a difference?
No, the difference b/t boiling down to 5 gal and topping up to 5 gallons would not matter, unless one discarded the trub before topping up.

I'd recommend staying with the full boil since you are obviously able to handle it and it should help quality. But a couple of points there. Full boils will increase hops utilization - so if you follow the hops schedule from a PB recipe in a full boil you'll get more hops bitterness. If you only put 5 gallons in the fermenter, esp with hops trub you won't get near 5 gallons into package. So if you don't want to transfer the hops trub and want to also account for yeast trub you should scale fermentables and hops to put 5.5 gal into the fermenter and maintain OG.

Edit: To clarify ... I should have said scale to make a 6 gallon volume at the end of the boil, then transfer 5.5 gallons (leaving the hops trub). Then if you lose 0.5 gallons to yeast trub, you'll have 5 gallons to package. Of course you can tweak these values if you don't think you have 0.5 gallons of hops or yeast trub, but these are common assumptions.
__________________
Hex23 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 03:36 AM   #10
Yourrealdad
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Glenwood Springs, CO
Posts: 149
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Yeah I haven't been able to understand yet how to account for hop utilization from partial to full boils, but Yooper said that I should just add hops on the schedule of the extract recipe she posted.

__________________
Yourrealdad is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
first time brewing a stout; concerned about fermenting time and final gravity rnbwdrgn Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 06-17-2011 10:46 PM
First time AG, first time my bazooka screen clogged! Looking tips to improve process. bmickey All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 03-13-2011 03:20 PM
long time lurker, first time poster from Edmonton, Alberta (Canada) prosper Introductions 5 08-22-2010 07:19 PM
Recipe advice for long time lurker, first time brewer... aristocrat Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 03-08-2009 04:35 AM
1st time kegger, long time drinker (oh and 1st time poster as well) believeinsteve Bottling/Kegging 5 06-29-2007 03:54 AM