Originally Posted by newdamage1
thanks folks, that worked just fine. Since about 35 minutes passed before getting to the proper temp should I let it go a little longer?
I know this is a little late, but with my recent experience, I would give you a resounding yes. I had a similar experience over the weekend. I was about 144F after mashin. I added a quart of boiling water and hit 149F. Since I was going for a dry beer, I didn't worry about it.
I also didn't stir well enough. At 65 min, an iodine test showed conversion. My pH was good and everything else looked OK. I was still measuring 148F with my Thermapen on the top layer but I didn't worry about it since my iodine test looked good.
I batch sparged as I have done a million times with this recipe. Did not take a pre-boil gravity reading (an oversight for which I am kicking myself. I would have noticed the problem then and been able to fix it as I have enough DME on hand).
Boil went good and hit my post boil volume on the nose. The problem? My OG was 1.030 instead of the 1.055-56 I usually get with this grain bill.
"Surely not," said I. So I tested it with a refractometer. Crap. About 7 Brix.
On the upside, at least with my 11g pack of WB-06, I know I didn't underpitch. On the downside, even at 28 IBUs, this may be way overhopped for the style at the gravity I hit. So my wife, the non-hophead, will be getting 5 gallons of hoppy lawnmower wheat beer. Sorry honey.
Moral of the story, yes, add time if you come in low on your mash temp. No matter what your iodine says. I had gone about 25-30 min before I got myself to an acceptable temperature. My gut told me to bump up my mash time by the amount of time I had spent out of my desired range.
And I should have known. I ALWAYS go wrong when I fail to listen to my gut. It's big enough. I should let it throw its weight around.