Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Low man on the totem pole!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 02:20 AM   #1
ste6168
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Low man on the totem pole!

Hey guys! Just wanted to introduce myself since I have been lurking for quite some time now! I have been wanting to get into the brewing hobby for probably about a year now, but I could never afford the initial price. Well, let's step back, I could have afforded it, but I am also an avid fisherman, and spend WAY to much on rods, reels, gas, and lures, so brewing was never in the forefront. Anyway, knowing that I have wanted to get into it, my brother bought me a starter kit this year from Midwest supplies, along with a bunch of other stuff to get started.

The only thing he did not purchase was a pot/kettle, so I awaiting the 6 gallon order from amazon. As soon as that comes in, I am going to attempt to brew the extract kit he bought as well called "Rocky Pale Ale (supposedly like Stone Pale Ale)." I am really excited to get this going, and also really fortunate that my brother purchased, as the 2-3 hundred in supplies he spent, I would have easily put aside and purchase another rod instead as I have been doing for the past year!

Fishing is my real passion, but look forward to picking up homebrewing for the days I cannot spend on the water! Now I just need to find some time to fit a job in... How do ya'll do that?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
ste6168
Recipes 

Guess I left out, if ya'll have any advice for my first brew, please share. Also, is anyone on here in the Eastern NC area? I am located in Morehead City, NC. If anyone is around, I would love to have a brew tasting buddy!

Old 01-05-2013, 02:30 AM   #3
edds5p0
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts

Welcome! I'm in Greenville.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:37 AM   #4
histo320
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Welcome, used to live in Asheville and oh how I miss the beer culture there.

For advice just search the forum for any questions you have and they have likely been answered before if not 100's of times.

My advice, stick with it. You will hit some bumps in the road but brewing is a lot like fishing. You just sit back Relax Don't Worry And Have A Home Brew (RDWHAHB).

Good luck!

Drinking - Cream of Three Crops
Bottled - HipHOPapotamus IPA
Primary #2 - Highland Gaelic Ale Clone
Up Next - Looking for good Brown or Stout

Old 01-05-2013, 02:49 AM   #5
naga77777
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Howdy, I'm in northern NC (oxford-- about an hour north of raleigh).

LOTS of fishermen here, see this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/show...sion-s-287532/

Homebrewing is definitely a LOT to take in at once. The best advice I can give for a beginner (as I feel I'm still one) is to read the free version of John Palmer's "How to Brew". (or at least do like I did, and read the first part of it, that will get you through your first brewday)

Also read Revvy's bottling thread. (a google search will point you to both of the aforementioned)

The first time you try a bottle of your own brew, you'll love it. Might taste like crap in actuality, might not..... but you'll love it because its yours.

Welcome to the obsession

Secondary 1: Skeeter Pee
Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Two Hearted Clone, Graff, BM Centennial Blonde (again :) )

Old 01-05-2013, 02:54 AM   #6
ste6168
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by histo320 View Post
For advice just search the forum for any questions you have and they have likely been answered before if not 100's of times.
!
You have no idea. I have seriously been wanting to brew for so long, and have been browsing these forums for probably close to, if not over a year. I feel like I have already brewed beer based on the amount I have read! I just try to make the most of my budget go toward gas because when you own two boats, plus a truck to tow, that bill really adds up! If I have any problems, I will search first, but I am really planning for all to go well with the research that I have put in.

I like that, RDWHAHB, although fishing is not always relaxing, especially once you get into money tournament fishing. What once started out as bluegill fishing at the pond, has turned into much more... Look forward to taking part in the forum here. I participate in many other fishing forums as well, and love the community here so far, and quick responses! Tip it back!

Old 01-05-2013, 03:02 AM   #7
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 538 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Advice: Do it and do not over-think things.

Sanitation. Get some Starsan or Iodaphor and use that.
Temperature control. Pay attention to your fermentation temperatures and look at ways to control the temperature throughout the fermentation.
If you don't have more fermenters get another one and get your second batch started soon after the first. You will soon want more going.

After you pass the initial outlay for the equipment most of your $$ will be going into ingredients.

If you do this you will soon be spending less on fishing equipment!

Old 01-05-2013, 03:12 AM   #8
ste6168
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
Advice: Do it and do not over-think things.

Sanitation. Get some Starsan or Iodaphor and use that.
Temperature control. Pay attention to your fermentation temperatures and look at ways to control the temperature throughout the fermentation.
If you don't have more fermenters get another one and get your second batch started soon after the first. You will soon want more going.

After you pass the initial outlay for the equipment most of your $$ will be going into ingredients.

If you do this you will soon be spending less on fishing equipment!
My brother purchased the starter kit from Midwest that gave me the ail pail, and the primary fermentor. He also got two better bottles, carboy cleaner, thermometers (stick on for all fermentors, and a clip in for the brew pot), two s style airlocks, one 3 piece, bottle brush, carboy brush, rocky pale ale kit, irish stout kit, SS mixing spoon, SS wisp, food grade funnel, hyrdometer test tube, and im sure there is some other stuff I am missing! I plan to brew only extracts for now, but will possibly upgrade later on down the line...

And I don't know about spending less on fishing, thats more than a hobby at this point, sort of a way of life, that I am hoping to one day quit my full time teaching job and fish full time.... Who knows, maybe I will hit the lottery and just fish and brew for fun, that's my ultimate goal! hahaha.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:20 AM   #9
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Fishing isn't fishing without homebrew....give it away at tournaments as a distraction...make it a competitive advantage

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 01-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #10
reinstone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Cheers and enjoy. And is that a walleye?

BL, CL, Miller etc. is like makin love in a canoe.....
its fkin close to water.
Lagering/conditioning: German pils, Dortmunder
Lagering:Kolsch, Dusseldorf alt
American Amber, Red ale
Double ipa, Rye ipa
Fermenting: German pils
Wheat 1,Wheat 2
All to be kegged and served by May 10

Quick Reply