Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Low Final PH: Adding Baking Soda to Finished Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 03:51 AM   #1
Mainer28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Low Final PH: Adding Baking Soda to Finished Beer

After tasting my cream ale, I have found that it is slightly sour. The beer is still young, 2 weeks old and I just started carbing it in a keg. I doubt that the sour flavor will mature out.

However, in a small test glass, I add a extremely small dash of baking soda and the the sourness was gone, resulting in a completely different beer.

Has anyone tried this?

Beer stats:
OG 1.050
FG 1.008
Yeast: WLP001

90% Two Row
10% Flaked Maize
12 IBU

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 03:52 AM   #2
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

give it a little time. that looks like a basic recipe that should work. i use a little different recipe, but yours is ok too

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 03-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
TarheelBrew13
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This is intriguing. Thanks for sharing this. I will have to give it a shot next time I have a beer that's a little too acidic. Or maybe I'll make one on purpose so I can try it.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Your beer is likely sour tasting from a bit of acetaldehyde that was a byproduct of the yeast eating sugar and if you leave it alone for a bit the yeast will finish converting that to alcohol and the sour will be gone. You may need to let that beer sit where it is room temperature for a few days so the yeast doesn't go dormant.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
BillyBock
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

"Sodium bicarbonate can be used as a wash to remove any acidic impurities from a "crude" liquid, producing a purer sample. Reaction of sodium bicarbonate and an acid produce a salt and carbonic acid, which readily decomposes to carbon dioxide and water." - wikipedia quote.

There are a few by-products of yeast that are acidic and can be neutralized by adding baking soda, acetaldehyde being one of them. Acetaldehyde is formed by the oxidation of ethanol. (this is why you avoid contacting air with fermented beer, ie transferring to secondary or keg) Acetaldehyde is also thought to contribute to hangovers.

I see no reason why you can't do this and I may try it on the next batch that comes out a little sour.

(this was based off just a little research and a crude understanding of chemistry, so feel free to scrutinize)

Quick Reply