Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Low Carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #11
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by webguru1974 View Post
I am using 3.37 ounces of Corn sugar and it is conditioning for 2 weeks
Conditioning is only step 1. You have to put it in your fridge for several days to a week. Your producing a lot of CO2, but most of it is stuck in the headspace of the bottle, when you chill the beer at fridge temps it absorbs the CO2 better and it goes into the beer.

3.37oz is also on the low side for a whole 5 gallons, but you should still have some carbonation...chill it for a few days and let us know.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #12
woody34
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts

3 weeks is a standard time for good carbonation. But temperature is just as important. 70 degrees F. is ideal. I had a stout (OG 1060) that took 4 weeks to even be close. It sounds like inconsistent carbonation is the problem not lack of carbonation. Add half the priming sugar and rack half the beer onto it. Then add the rest of the sugar and continue to rack onto that. A very slight stir (no splashing) is helpful but not totally needed. After 3 solid weeks at 70 degrees, give them a day (or even a week) in the fridge, depending on how patient or thirsty you are. I've personally never found additional fridge time to make a difference but others will swear by giving them a week.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4261 Times on 3104 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by webguru1974 View Post
I am using 3.37 ounces of Corn sugar and it is conditioning for 2 weeks
As was noted, that's very low. I use 5 ounces of corn sugar for 5 gallons, and it's just about right. You may not get all that much carbonation with that amount of sugar. You're more than 25% less than what I'd use. You'll have very low carbonation with that amount.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
webguru1974
Recipes 

Just bottle a brown ale yesterday 1.06 OG 1.02 FG add 5 oz of Corn sugar and letting it sit for 3 weeks. I will let you all know thanks again for all the help.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #15
kblankenship11
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foosier View Post
I have run into this issue too. Racking on top of the sugar may not be enough to mix the sugar in. On a recent batch, the first 6-12 bottles got too much sugar and are overcarbed volcanoes now. the later bottles were lightly carbed. The moral of the story is to stir the beer gently to ensure the sugar gets mixed evenly in your bottling bucket.

Also, many will tell you that 2 weeks is really the minimum. High grav beers can take much longer.
This same thing happened to me. A couple of my brews were full of foam, while others had almost no carbonation. Now I pour my dissolved sugar mixture into my bottling bucket and gently stir with my already sanitized racking cane. O2 is bad at this point so be careful! I had more trouble with that then I did with waiting more than 2 weeks.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #16
webguru1974
Recipes 

Made a Brown Ale with an OG of 1.060 & FG of 1.020 after 2 weeks of fermentation. We used 5oz of corn sugar and let condition for 2 weeks the carbonation was great so it looks like our issue was not enough priming sugar. Thank you to everyone here for the help

Quick Reply