Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > low attenuation on first two all grain attempts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
tintmaster88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default low attenuation on first two all grain attempts

I brewed a fat tire clone recipe that I got from byo 3 weeks ago. I mashed at 155 and got 83% efficiency. I made a 2l starter with wlp060 the night before. The next day it wasnt doing anything so I checked the slant and saw it was expired by a month. So I went and picked up wlp001 and added it to the starter. I brewed the beer and added the starter which wasnt at high kraussen but was showing signs of activity. Pitched yeast at 60 and raised up to 65. The temp did vary between 60 and 68 for a couple of days before I finally got it to settle around 65. 2 weeks later it was at 1.022 and showed no signs of activity. I swirled and raised the temp to 72. Another week and still at 1.022. Beersmith says my attenuation is at 58%. What can I do and what was the likely cause of this? I wouldn't have worried too much but I brewed a batch of apa a week ago and it seems to be stopped at 1.021 also. I didn't make a starter but I pitched 2 vials of wlp001. Should I start mashing at a lower temp? What's the problem here?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
pkeeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

How much crystal malt was in the recipe? 155 is at the high end of the range and will lead to less attentuative worts. At this point you can drink it, it will taste fine. I'd stop fooling around with it, you are just going to introduce oxygen and other nasty things.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

your first batch of wlp060 was fine. just because its past the expiration date doesn't meant that its useless. it just needs a starter. possibly a larger starter. next time go to Mr. Malty and enter the appropriate dates and see with it says.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
tintmaster88
Recipes 

The fat tire clone used .5 crystal 20 and .5 crystal 40. I went to mr malty and it said 5% viability I think.

So you wouldn't try to make another large starter. You think all the fermentables are gone because of the mash temp. 155 is what the recipe called for. The second beer was jamil's apa and called for 154 mash temp. I hit both of those right on.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
tintmaster88
Recipes 

Beersmith says my attenuation in 58%. That's way low. I don't know if i want to bottle that. I really don't want to bottle the apa like that. It needs to be a little dryer for sure.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1029 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Check your thermometer in icewater and boiling to see if it's off. If it reads 3-4F too low, you were mashing too hot.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-16-2010, 12:35 AM   #7
tintmaster88
Recipes 

You nailed that one. I have 2 thermometers both were reading 10 degrees low. I actually mashed at 165. So, now what? I can brew another batch mashed really low so it's nice and dry and mix it with the other one to meet in the middle. Anybody used enzymes to break down the unfermentables?

Quick Reply