Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Low ABV IPA??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #11
cuse88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadarnell View Post
if it was a 5 gallon kit and you only came up with 4.25 the OG had to be higher than the kit intended .. in which case 1016 is good I think so bottle/keg it up .. it's also going to be more bitter than intended since you did a full boil so you may have to let it sit for quite a while to mellow the bitterness ... but if you like it, then drink it right away .. just dont do what I did on my first one and drink 95% of it then wait a month to drink the last few and realize you should have waited a month for all of it... cheers !! .. you made beer
I was expecting a more bitter beer, but in the few sips I had it was bitter and really smooth. I'll probably have 1 bottle a week to see the improvements and/or changes through the process.

I might let it sit in the bottle for 6 weeks to hopefully up the sweetness a bit and bring down the alcohol aromas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #12
rod734
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default og

I have a question, did you take your og at the proper temp.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:09 PM   #13
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I think if anything it will be LESS bitter than intended. Higher gravity boil => lower alpha acid isomerization. That is, unless the kit was specifically designed for a partial boil.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #14
JimPony
Recipes 

I had the exact same results with the same kit. That's how I found this post!! Mine seemed to stop fermenting just shy of 2 weeks and I had it in a cooler at 68 deg. I'm going to go ahead and do a secondary just for the sake of clearing it up and hopefully mellowing it out a bit.

Quick Reply