Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Lots of newbie questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009, 02:44 PM   #21
kylerwilliams19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

yeah i actually bought the book and have been reading it, i think my problem is that i just need to get out there and actually start brewing and stop thinking about how exactly i want to do it. haha. i guess i am just over thinking the whole thing.

again any help is greatly appreciated

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 02:52 PM   #22
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Hey, it's better to overthink and underdo than to underthink and overdo. If it was me with my first batch, I'd probably be in too much of a rush to do anything other than brew with the ingredients I already have. If you take the advice here, you'll probably end up with better beer. If you ignore it, you'll still end up with beer!

sterling: sorry to keep jumping over you, I'm just on top of my game today.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #23
Stef1966
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hummm... someone who wants to start big...

I know i wouldn't do that unless i really tried my hands on the basic minimalist stuff and know that i really like it before i going on a spending spree, but that's just me.

Been brewing for only two years, and i know i will never aim for the big leagues, i like things that are simple to do and wont cost me an arm and leg.

my equipment consists on:
* A Hydrometer
* 2 primary plastic buckets
* 2 glass carboy (now sitting in their respective foam coated milk crates) along with bubblers
* an auto siphon and a bottling wand.
* a bottle sink adapted reversed sprinkler for bottle rinsing (whatever that thing is supposed to be called)
* a dishwasher
* a big stainless steel pot
* a stove in the kitchen
* a bottle capper
* some stuff i use from the kitchen, strainers, blender for my grains and such...

Do i want to buy anything else?
No, makes beer and mighty good ones at that according to my own personnal set of standards.

As long as there is some Beer left, there is Hope.

Last edited by Stef1966; 02-17-2009 at 03:04 PM.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #24
sterling214
Recipes 

No problem llama, I'm just too slow. Your posts are much better than mine anyway. Kyler, just remember to read Palmer's points about cleanliness and sanitation a 3'rd and 4th time. These are the most important parts of brewing. Don't make the same mistake that I did either. I thought that the one-step cleanser that came with my starter kit was a sanitizer, but it isn't. I would suggest you pick up a bottle of san-star and use it according to its instructions.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #25
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Oh, just one last thought. You might want to get a bottle of Star San and use it on everything. Sanitization is next to Godliness.

Oh darn, Sterling beat me to it.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #26
kylerwilliams19
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef1966 View Post
Hummm... someone who wants to start big...

I know i wouldn't do that unless i really tried my hands on the basic minimalist stuff and know that i really like it before i going on a spending spree, but that's just me.

Been brewing for only two years, and i know i will never aim for the big leagues, i like things that are simple to do and wont cost me an arm and leg.

my equipment consists on:
* A Hydrometer
* 2 primary plastic buckets
* 2 glass carboy (now sitting in their respective foam coated milk crates) along with bubblers
* an auto siphon and a bottling wand.
* a bottle sink adapted reversed sprinkler for bottle rinsing (whatever that thing is supposed to be called)
* a dishwasher
* a big stainless steel pot
* a stove in the kitchen
* a bottle capper
* some stuff i use from the kitchen, strainers and such...

Do i want to buy anything else?
No, makes beer and mighty good ones at that according to my own personnal set of standards.
not really starting big, i just am extremely interested in it and i know that i am going to enjoy it. i am just trying to start off as sucessful as i can possibly be, i mean i know that i can only do so well on my first batch but i want it to be at least a decent batch.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:11 PM   #27
Stef1966
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
not really starting big, i just am extremely interested in it and i know that i am going to enjoy it. i am just trying to start off as sucessful as i can possibly be, i mean i know that i can only do so well on my first batch but i want it to be at least a decent batch.
No problems man.
Just wanted to add a little reminder that it doesn't have to be complicated to be good.

As long as there is some Beer left, there is Hope.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:11 PM   #28
kloe120
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylerwilliams19 View Post
okay first off this kit is NOT pre hopped and to eliminate further confusion the kit is as follows:

3.3 lbs of light malt extract (liquid)
1 lb of rice sugar solids
1 lb of corn sugar
1 oz of UK first gold hop pellets (alpha 7%)
7g brewing yeast
5 oz priming yeast (dextrose)

that kit on midwest supplies was basically what i was looking at, except i was thinking 6gal better bottles instead of the 5 gal buckets. does that make sense?

i was just going to go the nearest home brew shop (in ann arbor) and talk to them and basically follow what that kit shows, except for like i mentioned the fermenting containers.

i appreciate the help, keep it coming
Kyler,

I am originally from that area of the state (midland) and there is a closer homebrew store. Check out Opperman's Cork 'N Ale in Saginaw (Oppermann's Cork 'N' Ale). Should save you an hour or two driving.

Good luck!

Old 02-17-2009, 03:50 PM   #29
kylerwilliams19
Recipes 

thanks i was just going to go there because i knew there were a few down there and the gf lives there. thanks tho for the suggestion i will def check it out

Quick Reply