The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Loss of head due to spices

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
hasseg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Loss of head due to spices

I've made a pale ale spiced up with coriander, orange and grapefruit peel to ferment together with the beer at the of the fermentation. It was the zest from 2 oranges and 1 grapefruit, I have kegged it now and I am able to test. The taste is very nice, but the head fizzles away directly making a load sound like when you pour champagne or something. Could it be the zest possibly? Or the method I used to add it (directly to the beer), I wanted a extracted flavour and I think I got it. But no head though...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3196 Times on 3101 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Could easily be the oils from the citrus zest. It takes a surprisingly small amount of oil to ruin head retention. Might want to try dried orange peel next time.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
hasseg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
Could easily be the oils from the citrus zest. It takes a surprisingly small amount of oil to ruin head retention. Might want to try dried orange peel next time.
Cheers, I'll try and dry them next time. I have tried comercial beers with zest and they all had good head, seems unfair..

Quick Reply