Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Loss of a gallon of beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #1
rfm3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Loss of a gallon of beer?

I have only been brewing for about a year or so and this may sound like a dumb question, but here goes.

When I brew the beer/ale I end up with 5 gallons that goes into the primary. Later after a couple weeks I transfer to a secondary.

At the point I am ready to bottle it seems I have only 4 gallons. So I will assume the missing gallon is in the sediment at bottom but seems like much loss of beer. Should I try adding a bit more water when brewing to primary and if so, how much to not lose the taste and quailty?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 10:40 PM   #2
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1691 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Are you brewing lots of hoppy beers? I typically lose about a half gallon to yeast/trub at the bottom of the fermenter, but if I brew something with a substantial amount of hop matter, that loss will go up.

A couple other thoughts:

-You may be too cautious and leaving too much beer on top of the sediment.
-You may not be leaving enough time in the fermenter. A little extra time will allow that cake to compact a little bit (although some strains leave a looser cake than others).

No matter what your batch size, you will have loss due to the yeast cake. If you're interested in getting more into the package, you can increase the batch size, but if you're brewing a recipe that's designed for 5 gallons into the fermenter, and you're putting 5.5 gallons into the fermenter without scaling up the ingredients, you're effectively watering the beer down. If you've got brewing software, you can scale up the recipe (most software programs have a scaling function and can do the math for you). Some folks target 6 gallons after the boil, figuring a loss of a half gallon to kettle trub and another half gallon to the yeast cake, so they have 5 gallons packaged.

Up Next: Bluebird Bitter Clone v2.5, Scottish 60/-, Rye American Pale Ale
Primary: Robust Porter, Kitchen Sink Brown Porter, Bluebird Bitter Clone v2.0
Souring: Lamebic, Flanders Red, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter, Wild Cider
Polypins: Dark Mild
Bottled: English Cider, Belgian IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer, Malt Liquor
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

hnycrk Likes This 
Old 02-23-2014, 10:53 PM   #3
m1batt1
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A good cold crash will also help with compacting and hardening the yeast cake prior to bottling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 02-24-2014, 01:38 AM   #4
gvtspook
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Default This will account for some of your volume loss.

I saw this clip a few hours after reading your post. It explains how alcohol molecules are smaller than water and can slip into the space between the water molecules. The myth-buster girl explains it better. I know it wouldn't account for a whole gallon missing but I thought it was pretty interesting and would account for some of your missing wort.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:53 AM   #5
Hopinista
Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Was she talking? I find it hard to pay attention to anything when she's on screen ...

Old 02-24-2014, 01:59 AM   #6
agrazela
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 8

In a nominal 5 gal batch, losing 1 to 1.5 gal between the brew kettle, primary, secondary, and the bottling bucket seems typical to me--the higher end of that range if doing a heavy dose of dry hops. I do 6 gallon batches to sorta compensate for the loss.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:33 AM   #7
TerranceKwong
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvtspook View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnLA7cHEVeM

I saw this clip a few hours after reading your post. It explains how alcohol molecules are smaller than water and can slip into the space between the water molecules. The myth-buster girl explains it better. I know it wouldn't account for a whole gallon missing but I thought it was pretty interesting and would account for some of your missing wort.
thats methanol not ethanol

Old 02-24-2014, 06:09 AM   #8
gvtspook
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Default At 1:26 she says that alcohol molecules are are smaller than water molecules

and that's why it works. Since both methanol and ethanol are variants of alcohol I was thinking that ethanol would work the same. Now I could be wrong. It has been a long time since I had a chemistry class. I was just going by the fact that she was talking about alcohol in general regardless of the specific type she was using but TV has steered me wrong before. My House is littered with snuggies and things they promised could can make minute made orange juice in only thirty seconds.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #9
TerranceKwong
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvtspook View Post
and that's why it works. Since both methanol and ethanol are variants of alcohol I was thinking that ethanol would work the same. Now I could be wrong. It has been a long time since I had a chemistry class. I was just going by the fact that she was talking about alcohol in general regardless of the specific type she was using but TV has steered me wrong before. My House is littered with snuggies and things they promised could can make minute made orange juice in only thirty seconds.
No you're not wrong ethanol will decrease the volume too.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #10
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 528 Times on 410 Posts
Likes Given: 641

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrazela View Post
In a nominal 5 gal batch, losing 1 to 1.5 gal between the brew kettle, primary, secondary, and the bottling bucket seems typical to me--the higher end of that range if doing a heavy dose of dry hops. I do 6 gallon batches to sorta compensate for the loss.
+1 to this. Your going to have a bit of loss at every step the only thing you can do is try to minimize those losses or brew a bigger batch to compensate those losses.
Make sure your getting a good cold break and whirlpool at the end of your boil. The more break material you leave behind in the kettle the less trub you'll have in your primary.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Muddy Waters Bourbon Mocha Stout
Primary : London System Southern English Brown
On Tap : Pumpkin Pie Cider, Cash Rules Everything Around Me CREAM Ale, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Quick Reply