Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Losing water during the boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
jarrodaden
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Losing water during the boil

Knowing full well that I am going to continue to lose water during boils, does anyone put a little extra water in the brew pot before the boil rather than adding it (cold) into the fermenter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
billl
Recipes 

Liked 262 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yes. Anyone doing a "Full Boil" does just that. Typically, in a 5 gallon boil, you'll lose a gallon+ in an hour. It really depends on your system though. I start off with 6.5 gallons of wort.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1010 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 2677

If you're doing partial boils and still have to top-up with water either way I'd say why bother. Otherwise just do full boil and account for boil off by starting with the right amount of liquid. Example, if you're making 5 gallons of beer then start with 6 gallons of pre-boil wort.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:25 AM   #4
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1882 Times on 1160 Posts
Likes Given: 2708

A lot more water than I would of expected boils off in an hour. As has been already said, it depends on your equipment and it also depends on the vigor of your boil.

Best to do a few test runs. Boil 5 gallons of water for an hour and see how much you lose. And remember check the water volume after it has cooled off because when it is hot the volume expands by around 4%.

Once you come up with an average loss quantity that is how much more you need to start out with.

Also try to boil at the same vigor each time. The harder you boil the more water is lost.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #5
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
A lot more water than I would of expected boils off in an hour. As has been already said, it depends on your equipment and it also depends on the vigor of your boil.

Best to do a few test runs. Boil 5 gallons of water for an hour and see how much you lose. And remember check the water volume after it has cooled off because when it is hot the volume expands by around 4%.

Once you come up with an average loss quantity that is how much more you need to start out with.

Also try to boil at the same vigor each time. The harder you boil the more water is lost.
Wise words from a wise man! It took me a few trials before I figured out the 4% expansion thing....

Old 06-23-2012, 12:34 AM   #6
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1882 Times on 1160 Posts
Likes Given: 2708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
Wise words from a wise man! It took me a few trials before I figured out the 4% expansion thing....
I cheated. BeerSmith predicted that and it's pretty accurate.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:49 AM   #7
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I cheated. BeerSmith predicted that and it's pretty accurate.
Yeah, I'm one of the few that doesn't use BeerSmith. I tried the free trial, but I let it expire. Now I just use free calculators and what not...

Old 06-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
looneybomber
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm an extract brewer, so I do partial boils, then add slushy top-off water. I used to use frozen 1gal distilled water jugs, cutting away the jug and dropping in the 8lb ice cube, but I found if I don't let it freeze solid, the slush has a much greater surface area and melts in 30-40 sec, compared to 15min with the huge ice cube.

Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Quick Reply