The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is losing a gallon of beer normal for liquid yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
BrewBarron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Is losing a gallon of beer normal for liquid yeast?

I tried a liquid yeast with starter for the first time yesterday on a wheat beer. It has finally calmed down but I think I lost about a gallon in the process. I used a blowoff tube and only filled the 6 gallon carboy up to about 5, but man, what a mess. I have brewed 3 times before with dry yeast and have lost very little beer. Is this much loss normal for a liquid yeast?

thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I think it's probably more of an issue that it was a wheat beer. I've had plenty of blowoff incidents with dry yeast.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 06-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
shanecb
Kvlt Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I lost about a half gallon with a wheat beer I just made due to blowoff and it wasn't even THAT vigorous.. so I don't see why a 1gal loss wouldn't be unheard of.

We are the Sons of Winter and Stars
We ́ve come from a far beyond time
Forever the fire burns in our hearts
Our world shall never die
- Wintersun

Old 06-14-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Has it been this warm for you earlier brews? You may have had a runaway fermentation temperature.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-14-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
BrewBarron
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Actually, I had it in a fermentation chamber, all of my brews have been and I have had little problem until now. It was set at 63 for the wheat and close to that for the rest of my beers. I guess at the least I need a bigger blow off collector since the growler doesn't seem to cut it.

I brewed a wheat last month (different recipe) with a dry yeast and that went well. The only thing I changed for this batch was my water (used a combination of my tap water with distilled water) and the liquid yeast.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
rpatton
Recipes 

I have not had any loss (due to blowoff) while using liquid yeast and a 5 gallon batch / 6 gallon carboy, but I haven't done any wheat beers yet.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:52 AM   #7
munche
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm on my third wheat and I don't really have problems with losing liquid, but I have a 1/2" tube that goes 6' to a Pyrex full of sanitizer. The yeast have to be pretty motivated to make it all the way.

I did get a ton of yeast in my pyrex for my Pliny clone, but that was using T-05

On Draft: Empire Strikes Brau, Dead By Dawn, Fail Ale, Yellow Fever Blonde

Old 06-15-2010, 12:53 AM   #8
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Fermcap anyone?

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 06-15-2010, 12:53 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

I use a 7.9 gallon bucket for primary, and I've never had a blow off. When I used a 6.5 gallon carboy for primary, I had a blow off (wheat beer) about 4 years ago. That's the only one so far, though.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:59 AM   #10
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I've had at least half a dozen beers blow off, some were wheat beers, some weren't, some used liquid yeast, some used dry, some were temp controlled, some were not. They were all done in a bucket. Wheat beers seem more susceptible, as do warmer fermentations, but, the lesson to be learned here, ALWAYS rig a blow off tube! Oh, and as ChshreCat notes, once I started using fermentation control in the fermenter I haven't had a problem, but I still rig a tube, just in case.

What makes one batch blow off and another seemingly identical one not? My guess, it's probably related to either voodoo or witchcraft!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Quick Reply