Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Loose Caps - Help please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
prpromin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Loose Caps - Help please

Hey,
Just bottled my latest batch with Oxygen barrier caps. While checking the bottles before storing the batch, I noticed that I could turn the caps. I tried tightening them with my wing capper, but no luck. They seem tight otherwise - is this an issue? Do I need to recap the batch?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Does your wing capper have the reversible plate with the smaller cap size on the other side?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 09-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Also, you could try checking them after a day or so, could be the caps are turning because they are wet.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 09-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
prpromin
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Thanks for the help. I just checked - my capper isn't reversible. I think your guess about wet caps/bottles is (hopefully) right on. They are not easy to turn and I can only do it with a towel wrapped around the tops, so I'm going to just relax and not worry too much.

Thanks again!

Old 09-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Yeah, could be, as they dry out, they won't turn anymore.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:09 AM   #6
fnord
I make Belgians
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Reading this thread I just tried to twist the caps on an apricot ale that has been quite slow to carbonate for me...started to dig into my hand. When I went back with a towel and a vice like grip it broke the seal and made a hiss. If it is REALLY hard to twist with a towel I would think you are okay but we're talking in relative terms.

I poured that bottle, it has a lovely mouthfeel and carbonation at room temperature, which confuses me since I thought carbonation was better after chilling and forcing CO2 back into solution with the beer. It also has this lovely, almost belgian flavor (I'm still quite a noob and don't know in belgians if that is phenols or esters) with just a hint of apricot, which may just be the was the apricot shows through for me. It fermented at 66 with S05 Zero head but I'm tempted to drink the rest of them warm. Scariest part is I thought I over primed these, 4.5 oz corn sugar as I thought I had closer to 5 gallons but only ended up with a tad over 4 in the bottling bucket, and I bottled them on 7/24.

Quick Reply