New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Looking for homebrew kit...(?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2008, 01:28 AM   #1
duker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Looking for homebrew kit...(?)

OK, I have been looking for a homebrew kit for awhile and I can not decide which to buy...there boil kits, no-boils kits, use sugar to prime, don't use sugar to prime-YIKES!!! Can anybody help?...Please

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2008, 01:36 AM   #2
oguss0311
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just buy the ones most commonly sold- a 60 min kit With priming sugar-
No boil kits take half of the fun of the experience away, and I've never even seen a kit without priming sugar- (not that I have seen it all).
Go to Midwest or Northernbrewer etc, and get an ale kit- Browns are great first kits! My first was a brown and its been one of my favorite batches yet.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:39 AM   #3
the_Roqk

Recipes 

If you are just starting out try an extract kit. It's usually easy and a good starting point for beginners. Then after you've made a few extract batches move up to partial mash kits. If you've then got the itch and monies, go all grain.

Truthfully, check out Austin homebrew supply, Northern Brewer, Midwest supply, etc... Just to name a few and or Google to try and find some other places. Check your local listings for a local Hombrew Store near you. If you get an extract kit I would recommend a easy pale ale. Remember to keep it simple. This hobby/craft WILL grow on you!

Old 01-10-2008, 01:43 AM   #4
duker

Recipes 

WOW, you guys are fast! Thanks for the help. I have been looking at a BEER MAN no boil kit and it uses carbonating tabs (not sugar). Anyone heard of or used this kit?

Old 01-10-2008, 01:47 AM   #5
oguss0311
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No- but I have heard of carb tabs. They work, but I prefer 5 oz of priming sugar because its a little more traditional. Carb tabs are- really- just bottle sized units of priming sugar- unless I missed something.
+1 for the Roqk- Midwest Et. Al. have great kits and will talk your ear off on the phone if you need help.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:45 AM   #6
buraglio
Recipes 

My first recipe was a Brewers Best English brown ale. It turned out really well and is a nice tasting beer. +1 for midwest or austin, but if you're looking for something you can possibly get locally and the LHBS doesn't do custom recipe/kits then I'd recommend going for a Brewers Best.

nb

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker
OK, I have been looking for a homebrew kit for awhile and I can not decide which to buy...there boil kits, no-boils kits, use sugar to prime, don't use sugar to prime-YIKES!!! Can anybody help?...Please

------------------------------------

Blog

Old 01-10-2008, 03:59 AM   #7
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I would say dont go for the the no boil. I have not heard many good things about them and extract is not hard at all.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 01-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #8
grasshopper1917
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I make the no boil coopers kits - beer turns out great for me - all you have to do is mix the canned kit in some hot water with some malt extract stir it up right good and your all set. So your no boil kit should make some nice beer.

It all depends how much time and effort you want to spend though. Most people on here like the extract kits where you add your own hops and steepn grains. It is a little more challenging and time consuming but you have a little bit more control over the finished product.

As for priming - corn sugar works great.

Ive tasted both styles and whatever one you choose I personally find the beer tastes good - im not a conneseur though - i just like a good tasting refreshing beer

enjoy - cheers

Old 01-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #9
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Might as well get use to the boil method since after the first brew you will be addicted...............errr wanting to make more and better brew, which will require boiling for either extract or all grain.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I suggest Extract + Steeping Grains, It is Extremely Easy and Very Hard to Screw up you will get Full Directions On what to do and It is a lot more fun then those No Boil kits, and you will have more control over color and taste as well as learning what specialty Grains do what. So I strongly Recommend Ex+Steeping Dont be Nervous its easy!

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Quick Reply