HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Looking for good/cheap Refractometer... any suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011, 03:30 AM   #1
Matteo57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Default Looking for good/cheap Refractometer... any suggestions?

So, I recently broke my hydrometer and would like to replace it with a refractometer.... Been looking around but lots of choices.
Overall, any good suggestions for good products at a cheap rate?
Looking at this one and looks decent, but don't know because I've never owned one.
Amazon.com: Sainstore Refractometer for Measuring Sugar Content for Beer or Wine: Industrial & Scientific

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 03:36 AM   #2
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Go to ebay and find the guy in torrance. I think it's a few dollars less than this one. I got it in 2 days. The rest of the ebay ones were from Hong Kong.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:09 AM   #3
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

what about how they differ or if there are ones better than others?

Old 12-29-2011, 04:16 AM   #4
jwalker1140
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrew View Post
go to ebay and find the guy in torrance. I think it's a few dollars less than this one. I got it in 2 days. The rest of the ebay ones were from hong kong.
+1

Old 12-29-2011, 04:41 AM   #5
oregonparamedic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would recommend having both. The refractometer is great and simple to use but its also handy to have a hydrometer for post fermentation checks and as a backup.

Originally Posted by conpewter
That's why it is best to just steal the kegs from little old ladies after they are passed out from their kegger, that way there is no question on if it is "stolen" or not.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:13 AM   #6
Diver165
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonparamedic
I would recommend having both. The refractometer is great and simple to use but its also handy to have a hydrometer for post fermentation checks and as a backup.
SWMBO accidentally broke my hydrometer yesterday. God love her, she was so upset. I'm like it's no big deal. I can order another....and a refractometer too . LOL. Oh well I'm outta commission until payday.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:13 AM   #7
muthafuggle
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonparamedic
+1 to this! I use both on every brew. The refractometer gets used to check pre-boil efficiency, because it's fast and I only need to cool a very small amount of wort.

The hydrometer gets used to check OG, because it's more accurate than the refractometer.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"

Primary:
Secondary: Bwa-Ha-Ha!! we don't need no steenking secondary!!
Bottled: 2tun Scotchpocalypse (12.12.12)
Kegged: LH Milk Stout Clone

Old 12-29-2011, 05:17 AM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Get the one Bobby_M sells on his site. I would also get a new hydrometer since those are easier to use once fermentation has started. You can use a refractometer, but you need to run the readings through software in order to adjust them to where they're accurate.

I use a refractometer right up until I pitch the yeast. Once that happens, I use a hydrometer to get readings (typically at the very end, before kegging to get the FG).

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #9
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Get the one Bobby_M sells on his site. I would also get a new hydrometer since those are easier to use once fermentation has started. You can use a refractometer, but you need to run the readings through software in order to adjust them to where they're accurate.

I use a refractometer right up until I pitch the yeast. Once that happens, I use a hydrometer to get readings (typically at the very end, before kegging to get the FG).
+1 for Bobby_M. I just ordered one along with a scale. It should be delivered any day now. I have heard nothing but good things about his refractometer. It's cheap and it also helps out a fellow HBTer and homebrewer.

Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Fizzy yellow beer and Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Nothing

On my list to brew: Stone IPA and some kind of wit

Old 12-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How to calculate your starting gravity (OG) after fermentation.

Here's a neat trick:

I broke my hydro on my first brew day this century (last week). Ordered the ebay refracto and adjusted with distilled water, and used it on my 2nd batch. Got 1.052. Pretty close. Then I measured my 1st batch and got 1.023 as it seems to be finishing up fermentation. I know 1.023 is wrong because there's alcohol in there. So I need to find the correct reading for OG and FG late in the game. I then got a replacement hydro and now plan to figure out the OG of my 1st batch by comparing both the actual FG with the hydro with the FG reading on the refracto and calculating OG.

Brewheads.com - Find Original Gravity with Refractometer and Hydrometer

BTW, there is a definite difference when calibrating with tap water vs. distilled water. I got around 0.003 difference.

Quick Reply