The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Longest time with green beer taste?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2009, 12:30 AM   #1
Ed_
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Longest time with green beer taste?

I all,

I'm not asking this from being worried standpoint since I have definitely become a believer in time heals all beers (well most beers...I don't think any amount of time will ever help a Budweiser ), but since I'm still pretty new to brewing I'm a bit curious as to what the longest you guys have had a batch keep that college pilsner keg that was pump tapped 3 days ago taste?

Any good references you can give should help out with keeping me from regularly raiding my batches to check on what ends up being only moderate improvement

6.5 gal Primary 1: empty
6.5 gal Primary 2: empty
5 gal Secondary 1: Amarillo Pale Ale
5 gal Secondary 2: empty

On Tap
Keg 1: American Lagar
Keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:

On Deck:
Black Hole of Calcutta IPA v4

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2009, 06:56 AM   #2
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

It can really depend on the beer - bigger and/or darker beers often take a little longer to mellow, but most of the stuff I've made so far is great within 7-8 weeks from brew day. My first really dark strong one is conditioning now and I expect it to take a little longer to come into it's own but we'll see.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 01-24-2009, 07:02 AM   #3
RayInUT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I thought this was a St. Patrick's Day post. Pour me another!

Old 01-31-2009, 01:37 AM   #4
Jolly McStanson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My beers never get past the green stage no matter how long I age them. I love brewing and the process, but I make terrible tasting beer. They always have the off flavor home brew thing going on.

I'm not going to give up however. Ill brew till the day I die to get a good tasting home brew.

Ingredients waiting to be brewed: nothing
Primary:
Kegged: half of something from last Spring

Old 01-31-2009, 01:48 AM   #5
nakros
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My first batch, a red ale, as well as my second batch, a bitter, both have the "green beer" taste. The first one has been bottled since Christmas day (a little over a month), and the bitter has been there for about 3 weeks.

Both are still green.

It's interesting... the green flavour in the red seems to be starting to "meld" into the beer.. It's not quite as offensive as it was before (maybe thats because I've finished more than half the batch in "taste tests" and have started to lose my idea of what it was before?).

The green flavour in the bitter is also mellowing, but definitely gone yet.

I bottled a blonde 2 days after I bottled the bitter, and it was astoundingly tasty at 1 week. It was the first beer that I gave to other people (beer drinkers who prefer "tasty" beers), and got a ton of compliments on it.

So... Since my first beer is still green and (if I finish it all) may stay that way, I can't really comment other than saying that it seems to fade (at least slightly) over time.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:27 AM   #6
ACo
Recipes 

can someone quickly explain what green beer tastes like?

Old 01-31-2009, 02:33 AM   #7
Deuce
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACo View Post
can someone quickly explain what green beer tastes like?
To ME green beer tastes like beer with a pungent alcohol aftertaste, almost a bite to it. Conditioning the beer will let the flavors do the happy dance with one another and give you some great beer!

Old 01-31-2009, 02:44 AM   #8
impatient
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I did a High Gravity Bock that registers 9.5% ABV.

I left it in Primary for 3 weeks and it has been in secondary for 5 weeks. I steal a sample out once a week. Not much difference from week to week. Very heavy alcohol presence with a lot of Matliness.

About the only change I have noticed, is that the maltiness has started to get stronger. I want the burn the back of me froat alcohol presence to mellow. I am starting to wonder if it ever will.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Pale Ale, IPA, Extra Pale Ale
Kegged: Hoppy Vienna Lager
Drinking: AllBitterNoFlavorTonOMunich Ale, Amber Ale, Cream of Three Crops
Soon: SA Black Lager Clone

Old 01-31-2009, 03:02 AM   #9
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by impatient View Post
I did a High Gravity Bock that registers 9.5% ABV.

I left it in Primary for 3 weeks and it has been in secondary for 5 weeks. I steal a sample out once a week. Not much difference from week to week. Very heavy alcohol presence with a lot of Matliness.

About the only change I have noticed, is that the maltiness has started to get stronger. I want the burn the back of me froat alcohol presence to mellow. I am starting to wonder if it ever will.

Beer is not supposed to taste good out of the fermenter. You have not even begun to age the beer yet. This does not happen until it has been in bottle or keg and carbonated for a period of time. In your case, a long period of time. It will bulk age in the fermenter but you need to get that carbonation working in your favor. Even if you do bulk age that hot alcohol taste out, the mini ferment that occurs with bottle conditioning will kick it off again.

As far as green tastes are concerned, the OP described it quite well actually. In bigger beers there can also be hot alcohol flavors. Personally I hate all green beer flavors and I usually wait a long time before trying a batch.

To answer the original questions, I wait three weeks in bottle before I even try one. Then I see where I stand. On most I find I need a week or two longer.

I am just starting to keg with my next batch so I don't know how this same process works because you can get the beer carbonated much much sooner What I don't know is if this carbonation equals maturation.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:07 AM   #10
impatient
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
Beer is not supposed to taste good out of the fermenter. You have not even begun to age the beer yet. This does not happen until it has been in bottle or keg and carbonated for a period of time. In your case, a long period of time. It will bulk age in the fermenter but you need to get that carbonation working in your favor. Even if you do bulk age that hot alcohol taste out, the mini ferment that occurs with bottle conditioning will kick it off again.

As far as green tastes are concerned, the OP described it quite well actually. In bigger beers there can also be hot alcohol flavors. Personally I hate all green beer flavors and I usually wait a long time before trying a batch.

To answer the original questions, I wait three weeks in bottle before I even try one. Then I see where I stand. On most I find I need a week or two longer.

I am just starting to keg with my next batch so I don't know how this same process works because you can get the beer carbonated much much sooner What I don't know is if this carbonation equals maturation.
I guess i have hijacked this post, oh well.

I am just doing as instructed by other around here. But, I am open for suggestion. I have bottles. Should I bottle it and let it sit?

What temp? How much dextrose for the high alcohol? How long to try?

It started at 1.092 and is down to 1.019. Is this low enough? Notty if you ask.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Pale Ale, IPA, Extra Pale Ale
Kegged: Hoppy Vienna Lager
Drinking: AllBitterNoFlavorTonOMunich Ale, Amber Ale, Cream of Three Crops
Soon: SA Black Lager Clone

Quick Reply