Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Long time lurker, first time poster

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
hypergolic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Long time lurker, first time poster

Well I did it, I brewed my first batch of beer tonight. I made the Amber Ale from the recipe section of the book "How to Brew". Things went smoothly so I am hoping for a great beer. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone in the forum for the knowledge I have leeched. I hope to be able to contribute in the future as I gain more experience.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 02:23 AM   #2
Hockeyhunter99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

congrats and welcome to the hobby

Beer Renaissance definition - transformation from a heavy beer drinker to drinking heavy beer

Keg - American Pale Ale

Primary - Chocolate Cascadian Dark Ale
Primary - ButterBeer

Old 01-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Welcome - and remember that the fermentation process can take some time to get going and can be underway even if not visible. Leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks seems to be the consensus.

B

Old 01-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
Dunerunner
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Welcome to HBT, Good Luck on the Amber!!

Old 01-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
krumb
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by birvine View Post
Welcome - and remember that the fermentation process can take some time to get going and can be underway even if not visible. Leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks seems to be the consensus.

B

with regards to this comment...is it normal for very active visible fermenation to subside at around 40 hours? there is still some movement in the carboy, but just not a lot to look at, where as i was seeing LOTS of movement inside the wort within the first 40 hours. the blowoff is still going strong. just curious.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 724 Times on 608 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Yes, it's very common for the active fermentation to slow in a short time. The yeast has consumed most of the easy sugar and has created a bunch of new compounds in the process, mostly carbon dioxide and alcohol but lots of other compounds too. Once it has eaten the sugars, it begins breaking down some of the other compounds that we think of as bad tasting. Letting the yeast work longer allows it to complete the clean up.

Quote:
the knowledge I have leeched
I thought the term for that was Hoovered, like in Hoover vacuum cleaner. I have hoovered up a lot here too.

Last edited by RM-MN; 01-10-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

Quick Reply