Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Long primary - another reason

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Default Long primary - another reason

Many experienced homebrewers leave their beer in the fermenter for 3-4 weeks. Beginners find this very difficult to do. But here's a real motivator: when a batch is done fermenting there will be a layer of trub. By waiting an extra week or two, this layer will compact leaving you with an additional 2-3 quarts of clear brew.

That's most of a six-pack.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2009, 10:29 PM   #2
brewmasterpa
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

but when you have 53 bottles anyway, whats the wait all about. i remember when i used to drink green beer, and go mmmmmmmmmmm........this is good sh!t. and now that i brew 6 batches at once and cant make room for more fast enough, letting it go like its supposed to promotes actual good beer. most beginners learn like i did.

ill keep my money, guns, freedom, and religion......you can keep the change.

You like fishsticks, what are you, a gay fish?

Old 03-26-2009, 10:41 PM   #3
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmasterpodunkarizona View Post
but when you have 53 bottles anyway, whats the wait all about. i remember when i used to drink green beer, and go mmmmmmmmmmm........this is good sh!t. and now that i brew 6 batches at once and cant make room for more fast enough, letting it go like its supposed to promotes actual good beer. most beginners learn like i did.
I did learn that way, except now I keg. But, same story...used to drink green brew and finish a batch right when it was about 2-3 months old. Now, I've gone to 10g batches and brewing quite a bit more and now I have a different problem. Too much beer (blasphemy, I know!). But I've got beer sitting in primary for almost 2 months just waiting for an empty keg. And to make matters worse, I want to BREW dammit...but I have no empty carboys to fill. But, I really can't complain with 5 different flavors on tap and some random stuff in bottles...it's a beautiful thing!

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 03-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
RedIrocZ-28
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Agreed, I like getting over 50 bottles out of a batch vs. 44-46. That extra week or 2 gets you 10-15% more beer for your investment. Not bad if you ask me. I wish my savings account did that...

Another thing I like is having fermenters able to handle 6.5gallons, it gets closer to 70 bottles out of a batch!!

Old 03-26-2009, 11:04 PM   #5
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Maybe it's just the S-04 I'm using, but when I rack to my secondary after 2 weeks I get all but a tiny big out because my sediment is so compact. We're talking like a quarter inch of clay at the bottom of the fermenter. It couldn't get any MORE compact.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 03-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
defenestrate
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Many experienced homebrewers leave their beer in the fermenter for 3-4 weeks. Beginners find this very difficult to do. But here's a real motivator: when a batch is done fermenting there will be a layer of trub. By waiting an extra week or two, this layer will compact leaving you with an additional 2-3 quarts of clear brew.

That's most of a six-pack.
not to mention making racking much easier since the trub is much harder to really disturb back in to suspension.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:19 PM   #7
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

cold crash FTW. It'll compact it even more.

Quick Reply