Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > long fermentation is long

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
BeerPressure
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default long fermentation is long

I brewed a belgian wit on July 13th, with a white labs liquid yeast starter. The damn thing is still going, the airlock has slow activity and last time i checked the gravity a few days ago it was about 1.018 and the target FG is 1.010. The krausen hasnt fallen yet either.

what is taking it so long?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Yeast are a living thing, they have their own agenda, and it is usually different that ours...This is a game of, patience, son.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

that's only 11 days. That's not exceptionally long. Some yeast will take up to 3 weeks to finish. The wit yeast and saison yeasts are known for doing this, so I would just ride it out and see how it goes.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Being in Buffalo as you are, I am going to assume that you have it fermenting at the optimum temp or higher. Also, OG? Did you make a yeast starter to check if your vial was viable? And good to see your using a hydrometer and not just going on airlock activity. I have seen that with slower fermentations the krausen wont fall as fast. If you give it a gentle rock the krausen should slowly start to fall back into solution or drop out into trub.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It was down to 1.010 this morning so I racked it to the secondary for a week before i bottle.

Last edited by BeerPressure; 07-28-2008 at 07:19 PM.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Good news!!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply