Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Long Belgian White Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2009, 05:21 PM   #1
morebeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Long Belgian White Fermentation

I brewed up a mini-mash batch of AHS Belgian White with the 1% alcohol boost 3 weeks ago. It has been fermenting in my basement at around 64-68 degrees, and it is still going. I just took a gravity reading and it was 1.016, it should have a FG of 1.010. The airlock is still slowly but steadily bubling, and the krausen hasn't fallen.

Is it normal for fermentation to take this long? I'm not necissarily worried about it. I was just hoping it would be done this weekend so I could bottle it and start another batch. (my other two fermenters are full also)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
jvlpdillon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

It is possible the yeast are just not done. They decide what they want to do not you. I had a cider fermented with Hefe yeast take a over month to finish. I also had an ESB take only 2 days. The yeast is not going to give off flavors even if it goes another 3 weeks. Just be patient. As hard as that is for all of us.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What yeast did you use? I did a wit using WLP400 and it took 25 days at 64F to reach a final gravity of 1.008 from an OG of 1.055.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 10-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
bweatherly
Recipes 

We just made a Belgian White and it also took forever. We used WLP400 yeast. Was bubbling for over 2.5 weeks. We finally called it at a FG of 1.010

Primary: Belgian White, Lemongrass Wheat (for my wedding!)
Secondary: Dreadnaught clone
Bottled: Orange Chocolate Ale, Kona Sutra Stout, Butternut Squash Ale, St. Nick's Winter Ale

Old 10-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You are not that far off...anything under 1.020 is usually done, you are only 6 points away from 1.010, that's not that far off......You COULD bring it upstairs into a warmer area, which will also rerouse any yeast from the bottom, which my get them to swim around some more munching on any more fermentable sugars.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
morebeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyWater View Post
What yeast did you use? I did a wit using WLP400 and it took 25 days at 64F to reach a final gravity of 1.008 from an OG of 1.055.
Thats the exact one I used. How did yours turn out? I think it is going to be really good.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:16 PM   #7
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It came out very nice. I used a lot of fresh citrus (grapefruit, orange, lemon) zest along with the coriander and curacao, and the aroma was amazing. This beer didn't last too long.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Quick Reply