Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Long active ale fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
berley31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Long active ale fermentation

One week ago I started my second brew, a hefeweizen. It's an extract brew that came out with an OG of 1.062, which is almost spot-on to what the calculators had come up with previously. I had made a 3 L starter of Wyeast 3056... I know this seems a little high for that OG, but the production date on the yeast was Sept 1/09, and mrmalty.com recommended a much bigger starter than 3 L. Pitched the yeast at about 65 F and rocked the carboy for a good 5 minutes to aerate. Started fermenting at about 62 F (recommended from the hefe recipe in Jamil's book) about 12-15 hours later, and the airlock was bubbling at about once/sec 24 hours later.

SO, almost one week later, the krausen is still quite big and thick, and the airlock is still bubbling at about once/15 sec. I know that airlocks are a bad way to measure fermentation, but I don't want to take a gravity reading yet as the krausen is still pretty high. Does this not seem really long for an active fermentation for an ale? Maybe I did pitch too much yeast, and the banana esters are going to be much lower than they should be?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

No. I have an ordinary pale ale that I brewed NYD and it is still going. Colder fermenting temperatures will stall the time needed to complete fermentation.
Relax and let it do its job to completion.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 01-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
luvhopps
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Your fine. I brewed monday and my ale is still going once every ten seconds. You need to leave it in the primary for a couple more weeks, then bottle it.
Relax, and let the yeast do it's thing.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
Gristulin
Recipes 

That does sound like a HUGE starter! I'm not positive, but I think you might be right about the esters not coming out as much as a result of over pitching.
I have had full krausen last 15 or 16 days. Uncommon, yes, but not unheard of. I wouldn't stress too much. And I agree, don't take a hydrometer reading til that krausen falls.
Zac

Old 01-09-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
berley31
Recipes 

Cool, thanks everyone.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
berley31
Recipes 

I posted a thread a couple weeks ago about that starter.... most people commented on how huge it seemed. But everyone always swears by the pitching calculator on mrmalty.com, and it recommended something like a 9 L starter with TWO Wyeast packs, based on the OG and yeast production date, so according to that, I was way UNDERpitching.

Quick Reply