LME vs. DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRGSPE73

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the site and a fairly new homebrewer, so I apologize if threads similar to this have been posted before...or if this is just a ridiculously stupid question. I'm a partial mash brewer, and the recipe for my next brew (my 2nd) uses a combination of DME and LME. My first batch used only LME, so I was just wondering if I need to do anything different in using the DME...do I just dump it in like the LME? My recipe is below (it's a clone of Yukon Arctic Red).

5 gallons /19 L, extract with grains
OG=1.054
FG = 1.012
IBU = 32–35
SRM= 13
ABV = 5.5%

Ingredients
3.3 lbs. (1.5 kg) Muntons Light unhopped liquid malt extract
2.0 lbs. 2 oz. (0.96 kg) Muntons Light unhopped dried malt extract
1.5 lbs. (0.68 kg) crystal malt (10 °L)
1.4 lbs. (0.64 kg) Munich malt (20 °L)
1.0 oz. (28 g) black patent malt
9.3 AAU Goldings hops (60 mins) (1.75 oz./50 g of 5.3% alpha acids)
3.25 AAU Cascade hops (5 mins) (0.5 oz./14 g of 6.5% alpha acids)
1 tsp (5 ml.) Irish moss (boil 60 mins)
White Labs WLP007 (Dry English Ale) or Wyeast 1335 (British Ale II) yeast

Also, any suggestions on tips/techniques from anyone who may have previously brewed something similar (conditioning temp/time, etc?)

Thanks!

-Josh :mug:

you don't need to do anything special. one is just a thick syrup, and the other is the same thick syrup that has had the water taken out to powder it.

-walker

JRGSPE73 said:
3.3 lbs. (1.5 kg) Muntons Light unhopped liquid malt extract
2.0 lbs. 2 oz. (0.96 kg) Muntons Light unhopped dried malt extract

Having the use of LME and DME like this is not uncommon. LME is cheaper and DME is easier to handle once the bag has been opened since it's dry and also stores better. The recipe didn't need another 3.3 lb of LME, so the brewer decided to use DME for the additional ME instread and have some of it left over.

One can be substituted for the other if you account for the fact that LME is 20% water and 80% extract and DME is pretty much %100 extract.

Kai

I thought I'd read on here that LME is 20% water. DME is 0% water.

My logic tells me that this is correct:

1lb LME = .8lbs DME
1lb DME = 1.25lbs LME

:off: another philly area homebrewer :off:

anyway, i've never had a yukon arctic red, but it looks like that recipe will make a good beer... :mug:

Lou said:
:off: another philly area homebrewer :off:

anyway, i've never had a yukon arctic red, but it looks like that recipe will make a good beer... :mug:

Actually, I've never had it either, but I thought it sounded good.:rockin:

Lou, glad to see the obsession is growing in Philly. Where do you buy your supplies?

Thanks for all of your help everyone!

-Josh

JRGSPE73 said:
Actually, I've never had it either, but I thought it sounded good.:rockin:

Lou, glad to see the obsession is growing in Philly. Where do you buy your supplies?

Thanks for all of your help everyone!

-Josh
i used to get my stuff at Brew Your Own Beer in Haverford....but recently I've been going to Home Sweet Homebrew at 20th & Sansom in philly...

I may have to check those out...I'm getting my stuff at Keystone Homebrew in Montgomeryville...pretty good inventory, and the guys there are very helpful.

JRGSPE73 said:
I'm getting my stuff at Keystone Homebrew in Montgomeryville...pretty good inventory, and the guys there are very helpful.
Hey, that's where I've been going, and I agree - the selection is great and the people there are extremely helpful. I've picked John's brain at least 3 times a weeks since I started brewing in February, and he's taught me a lot.

Back