Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > LME additions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2011, 12:45 AM   #1
rwabdu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default LME additions

so I have noticed some suggestions that malt extract should be added at different points in the boil. does this make any difference? What effect does adding malt at different times have on the beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 12:54 AM   #2
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

malt extract will darken the longer it is boiled. thats it. just color. when i do extract i just do what the recipe says. but either way you choose to go your beer will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:58 AM   #3
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

sorry, also there is other stuff about the worts gravity, and wether you are doing a full boil or not that affects the hops a little. but if you're just starting out (maybe even if you're not just starting) i'd say its not worth worrying about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:13 AM   #4
Wyrmwood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 56

It only affects color if you are doing a partial boil and it merely reduces the caramelizing (reducing the darkening effects of a partial boil). It has a pretty major impact on hop utilization, increasing the overall bitterness contributions.

http://brewtarget.sourceforge.net/
Brewtarget lets you enter your ferment-able ingredients "late" and gives you an idea of the impact on hop utilization.

Late addition also reduces the energy necessary to maintain a rolling boil, since there's less mass in the wort. That's the primary reason I do it.

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Ben Franklin
catalyst156 Likes This 
Old 04-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
rwabdu
Recipes 

oh thats a good call. I have noticed that ive done a few pale ales with pretty different recipes but similar results on the hop bitterness of the final product. I'll see if this changes anything as I only do a partial boil for my batches. thank you

Quick Reply