Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Little Tips for New Brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
scubastan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Little Tips for New Brewers

Hi Everyone,

I've spent over 50 hours in the last 3 weeks reading over different threads looking for answers to questions I had before starting my 1st brew.
Well my 1st brew came and went and is now sitting in the Primary Fermentor bubbling away.

I was super excited about cooling my wort from 200F to 70F in about 15 minutes using my homemade wort chiller and was ready to pitch my Whitelab Liquid yeast. I took it out of my fridge early that morning to let it sit for the recommended 3-6 hours. I went to twist that sucker open and the whole thing fizzed out like a badly shaken soda. I had Yeast/Foam all over my hands, and clothing but very little if any left to pitch my Wort with. Made a mad dash to the LHBS and grabbed another vial asking the owner for tips on opening it.

So here is My little Tip when opening Liquid Yeast vials.

When you first take it out of the fridge give it a slight twist to release the built up CO2 and then QUICKLY re-close it, or it will all fizz out. I repeated this process another 2 times to release the additional CO2 that had built up from the warming process. Finally I after waiting a LONG 3 hours I was able to carefully open it without any problems.

I encourage others to post any other small tips they may have picked up along the way that aren't often mentioned in the stickys posted above.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2011, 12:45 AM   #2
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2688 Times on 2086 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Another way is to open it cold, and just let it sit there upright so it can vent a little if it needs to. For some reason I don't usually have a problem with this... the guy who introduced me to brewing used to just open them up real fast, and try to lose as little as possible.

Oh, and starters. In your 50 hours you must have learned about the importance of starters.

Welcome to the forum!

Old 11-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2348 Times on 1666 Posts
Likes Given: 1317

I crack mine open just ever so slightly and let it sit for a while as I prepare the rest of the setup (usually about 2 minutes since I have started canning my starter wort).

By the time I get back it's purged and I can close it back up and shake the yeast into suspension.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I usually sanitize the exterior of the container and then open it over the fermenter.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2198 Times on 1914 Posts
Likes Given: 1645

When I rack from primary to secondary or a bottling bucket,I just remove the airlock's cap & center piece after connecting my racking tub. It allows the internal pressure to equalize as it empties so flow gos as fast as the spigot/tube will allow.
I'm also thinking up a rig to use my auto siphon to prime the vinator. The more times I use it,the more time it takes to prime it to where it will blow sanitizer. Something to connect it to the pump plunger on top,filled half way with starsan,& work the auto siphon to pull the fluid through it. Last time it took me at least 20 minutes to get it flowing. Late at night too. Gotta fix this.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
BamaRooster
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Another way is to open it cold, and just let it sit there upright so it can vent a little if it needs to. For some reason I don't usually have a problem with this... the guy who introduced me to brewing used to just open them up real fast, and try to lose as little as possible.

Oh, and starters. In your 50 hours you must have learned about the importance of starters.

Welcome to the forum!
This is the method I use also. Crack it cold and let it warm up, and vent it a few times as it comes to temp, until I dump it into my starter.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2198 Times on 1914 Posts
Likes Given: 1645

Here's another one I showed in my bottling video. I place the filled & primed bottling bucket on the brew stand,connect the bottling wand's tube to the Italian spigot. Now,when I have to stop bottling to cap a dozen or so bottles,I prop the bottling wand in the remaining empty bottle. The tube laid over a FV spigot to hold the wand up,but not touching the bottom so the pin valve is shut.
No air bubbles in the tube this way. Unlike just shutting off the spigot,which puts a ton of bubbles in the wand & tube due to a negative pressure wave that starts at the valve & travels back. Less chance of aerating the beer this way.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #8
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2348 Times on 1666 Posts
Likes Given: 1317

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer View Post
I usually sanitize the exterior of the container and then open it over the fermenter.
I guess that would work great if you don't make a starter.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Here's another one I showed in my bottling video. I place the filled & primed bottling bucket on the brew stand,connect the bottling wand's tube to the Italian spigot. Now,when I have to stop bottling to cap a dozen or so bottles,I prop the bottling wand in the remaining empty bottle. The tube laid over a FV spigot to hold the wand up,but not touching the bottom so the pin valve is shut.
No air bubbles in the tube this way. Unlike just shutting off the spigot,which puts a ton of bubbles in the wand & tube due to a negative pressure wave that starts at the valve & travels back. Less chance of aerating the beer this way.
You mean the one you got from my bottling tips thread...

This is another great tip thread.....

Basically any sticky in the forum can be considered a tip thread.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #10
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Crack the vial slightly, open and pitch it cold into your starter. Warming yeast is for wimps!

Quick Reply