The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Little confused on priming

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
silverbullet07
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Little confused on priming

Everyone seems to go with 1oz corn suger per gallon and when I look up the sugar rate on a priming calculator, it shows different co2 for different style beers.

I want to prime a German dunkelweizen and according to the chart I want between 3.3 – 4.5 volumes of co2.

Is the temperture at bottling what the beer temperture is at bottling or what the temperture will be during conditioning?

So if my German Wheat beer need 4 volumes co2 @ 68F it shows 8.4 oz sugar.

Everyone seems that is to much that is why I'm confused.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
beerman0001
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The temp is what your beer temp is at the time of bottling. 3.5 is the most I would carb it to. 4.5 is going probably going to explode the bottles.

Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Old 09-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Yes, it's the temperature of your beer at bottling time. The current temperature affects the CO2 volume in solution.

I've had the best results following northern brewer's online priming calculator.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
billl
Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I disagree. If you ferment at 68 and then crash cool to 32 before bottling, I wouldn't be using 32 to calculate priming levels. It takes an extended period of time for gas to migrate back into solution with the minimal surface area in a fermenter. Gas comes out of solution very easily as temp rises but it isn't as quick or easy to get it dissolved back in.

It's the same reason why you can't just let your wort sit for a couple minutes and have it naturally saturate with oxygen. Its also the same reason you want to stick your brew in the fridge for a couple days before drinking (and that is with it being under pressure.)

Old 09-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
brycelarson
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
I disagree. If you ferment at 68 and then crash cool to 32 before bottling, I wouldn't be using 32 to calculate priming levels.
Right. You want to use the temperature that the beer has been held at for a long period of time previous to priming.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I still believe it's the temperature at bottling time that matters, not the temperature that the beer will be conditioned at which was the OP's orignal question.

Here's my process: After fermentation is complete, I crash cool my beer for several days at about 36-40 degrees in order to drop any sediment out of suspension. On bottling day, I remove the beer from my fridge, and place it on my kitchen counter with a towel under the carboy. I then let the beer warm up to about room temperature and bottle. I base my priming sugar calculation on the current temperature, which is now at or close to room temperature using northern brewer's calcuator, http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/.

Running your priming sugar calculations at the temperature you crash cool at is not practical if you're bottling in your home as the beer will warm up fairly quickly during the process. This will lead to inconsitent carbontation levels since CO2 is released as the liquid warms up, as mentioned by the other posters.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

All beer has a residual amount of CO2 in suspension and it directly correlates to the temperature of the fermentation. An ale fermented at 65 will have a different amount then a lager fermented at 50.

The priming sugar calculation takes into account the fermentation temperature, not the temperature at the time if bottling. If you we're to take the two beers and allow to warm to the same temp at bottling and used the same calculation then one beer would be over carbonated and one would be less because they fermented at different temperatures.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 09-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #8
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I wouldnt try to bottle with that much sugar, you will blow...to get that high of a pressure you'd probably have to keg.

5oz per 5 gallons already is on the high side IMO....i wouldnt go much beyond that if at all.

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Old 09-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #9
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
The priming sugar calculation takes into account the fermentation temperature, not the temperature at the time if bottling.
I guess that depends on the source of your priming sugar calculation. I've used several and I've had the best results using the NB calculator which asks for the current temperature of the beer as one of its inputs, not the fermentation temperature of the beer. The process I outlined above has worked well for me, but I'm sure there are other ways to get results. If I didn't crash cool, I'd probably go off the fermentation temperature for ales. Lagers might be a little trickier as they are typically lagered which would have similar affects to crash cooling. In that case, I'd probably warm the beer up to room temperature and go off the current temperature for bottling.

Also, a good debate on the topic here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/eff...-needs-134347/.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4197 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

It's NOT the temperature at bottling. It's "fermentation temperature" or the highest temperature the beer reached during or after fermentation.

Here's why- cold liquids "hold" onto co2 quite well. Co2 is produced during fermentation, but not after fermentation. Once the beer is done, no new co2 is being produced.

Say you ferment a beer at 65 degrees, then let it sit at room temperature of 74 degrees since your fermentation chamber was full. Then, put it in the kegerator to crash cool.

You should use 74 degrees, as the co2 would off-gas more at 74 degrees. And that is the reason the calculators use the temperature- they want to guestimate the probable amount of residual co2 already in the beer.

I hate those priming calculators, by the way! They do help you prime "to style". But in this case, you could easily have bottle bombs and most bottles probably would be able to handle 4+ volumes of co2. Plus, when you open that bottle, even if it didn't blow up, it would gush and foam something awful. And there is the confusion, as noted above, about what temperature to use!

I always recommend using .75-1 ounce of priming sugar, by weight, per gallon of finished beer. .75 ounce for a lower carbed beer (say, a stout), and 1 ounce for more highly carbed beers like pale ales and German style beers. They may not be precisely "to style", but bottled beer usually isn't! Most bottled beers are 2.3-2.6 volumes of co2, and that is what we are used to.

Quick Reply